Falling down rabbit holes

15 September 2022


Whilst my parents were staying with us in late August we went for a lovely walk up on the fell near our house.  It is an area that is rich in history with many cairns, stone circles and evidence of settlements.  We were trying to locate a roman road that was marked on the map and focused as I was on looking for this I failed to notice a large rabbit hole beneath my feet.  It was deep enough that I went in nearly up to my knee, my ankle did not like the experience I think I probably pulled or sprained a muscle.  

After a short rest I felt surprisingly ok and managed to walk for a least another hour before we stopped again for a drink and cake break.  Whilst resting I checked on my foot and managed to make it painful for reasons that I cannot fathom, I guess I rubbed the effected muscle in the wrong way.  By the time I got back to the car I was hobbling somewhat, driving home was rather painful.  It was difficult to walk for 24 hours after which it was swollen but no longer painful, normal movement slowly returned.  

Whilst I was away camping recently with Alice, walking back the tent in the dark I stepped on a slight slope my weakened ankle could not cope with and I managed to pull a different muscle.  Luckily I was able to drive the next morning, getting home could have been interesting had I not been able to.  

We are slowly heading towards the Autumn Equinox which for me marks the beginning of Autumn.  As with all changes of the seasons the last weeks of the old season and the first few of the new one mark a transition period.  We have started a new rhythm for the new season, a rhythm which is tinged with sadness.  

Nine years ago when Alice reached the age when her peers started school education, regular readers here will know that she has never been to school, we were invited to be part of a group that we attended until March 2020 and COVID ended us meeting.  It was a lovely group and a privilege to part of it all those years.  The children that have attended that group have also changed over the years, there were two constant over the whole period Alice and her friend, the daughter of the mum who hosted the group.  

She has been through a lot of changes over the past few years with friends choosing or having to go to school and friends moving away overseas.  In May this year we received the news, with rather thoughtless timing two days before her birthday, that the same friend was applying to go to school to continue her education.  We always knew this friend would go to school at some point, but we had thought this would be in two years time.  She was the last remaining member of our lovely group who had not started school, so that group, which has been part of Alice's home education for so long,  is no more too.  This transition has been made so much harder for her because she has had absolutely no acknowledgment from her friend or her mum about how this change might feel for Alice and effects that change has for her.  This has been hard for me to hold for her too.  The reaction that Mum had to her telling another family also effected by this change has really saddened me as it left me with no doubt that they don't feel responsible for how their behaviour is effecting others or that she wanted to hear from me how that change might feel for us.

Dealing with lack of empathy from others is really hard, an added layer to an already challenging situation. Because this has happened to me with this family before I was prepared for it this time,  I did not take it personally and was able to use my energies to support Alice rather then trying to work out why on earth anyone would think behaving in that way is ok.

Over the last week or so there has been a lot of noise in our house wafting through the wall from next door.  Since our neighbour died last October the house has stood empty, it was emptied by the end of the year and put on the market to sell.  It was very over priced and not liveable in, neglected by the landlord for the past twenty years they have owned it.  The front door was locked using a padlock as it was so misshapen the normal locks did not work, every room in the house needs work doing on it to make it liveable in.  We have been baffled that no has moved in since it had been purportedly sold in February/March time, so long ago that we cannot remember.  It now has new owners who are rapidly working on it to make it habitable again.  It seems the delay was over probate which confused us, it was inherited by two sisters when their mother died about five years ago, it seems that that was not sorted at the time.  My husband and I are looking forward to having new neighbours especially as it will mean that the house is heated over the winter, we live in a terraced house which is wonderful when everyone has their heating on but as the house was empty last winter it made heating our house much harder, with the very large rise in our bills having the house occupied will make a real difference.  

Whilst my husband and I are welcoming the changes next door, Alice is finding them hard.  She has only ever known one neighbour, he was a constant for her next door, an extra grandparent who she was really fond of.  She loved spending evenings with him when her dad was away, her brother at Scouts and I was out.  They would spend hours chatting and doing jigsaws together.  She would go to sleep at night listening to him playing the guitar through the wall, she started lessons last year inspired by him.  It is too much change at once for her.

My ankle limited what I could do for a few days, it is still a little swollen  and is still preventing me from doing some yoga poses weeks, thankfully walking is fine.  Alice is navigating through the change of her friend being at school and all that holds for her.  Having your feelings ignored is hard and has added an extra layer in an already difficult situation.  She will be ok, she will get through this and it will help her build resilience to deal with similar situations in the future.  I am really grateful to Alice for speaking her truth and telling me how having new neighbours feels for her.  We don't all experience change in the same way and when we are able to speak honestly and openly we can find the support we need to navigate through this.  I am naturally sad that we have not been able to do this with our friends.

We will be ok, with time.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you and Alice. Change is hard, especially when it's unexpected (or comes earlier than you had mentally planned for).
    Wishing you many happy memories with your new neighbour. And I'm so glad Alice has you there to help her navigate this tumultuous season. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going through a difficult time at the moment, but it will pass. Several things all happening at once makes them even more of a challenge to get through than if they had come one at a time. Unfortunately that is sometimes the way with things. Shakespeare had it right in Hamlet (Act 4 Scene 5) 'when troubles come, they come not single spies, but in battalions'.
    Sending good thoughts to you.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel a bit like a battalion Ellie, thank you for sharing that quote it has resonated with me. You are also right that it will pass and we will come out the other side stronger and with greater resilience.

      Delete
  3. I hope your ankle feels better soon and that you haven't done anything serious to it. It can be really painful when you hurt your ankle as it's being used all the time, unless you give it complete rest. What a sad situation that the group of friends that Alice has been used to for such a long time are no longer a part of the group. Obviously, they have to do what feels right for them, but I agree that some people just don't think about or empathise with other people and can't see how their actions will affect other people. It's natural for Alice to feel upset about this, it's a form of grieving for something she's lost. It's good that she's got such a wonderful mum who can help her navigate her way through these feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ankle is slowly improving it has taken a long time. Walking is fine, I just have reduced movement which I notice when I do yoga. You are so right that Alice is going through a grieving process, we went to a birthday party last weekend and it was all the children she used to meet up with regularly together in a group again. It was hard to be in that space, it was a reminder to her what she has lost. Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear of all the things you've been going through. I hope your ankle will be back to full use soon. It's hard when we see our children suffer from things like that. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to watch our children suffer you are so right. My ankle is slowly improving, walking is fine but I have slight reduced movement still which I only notice when I do yoga.

      Delete
  5. Aw no 😞. Sending massive hugs to you both, you recovering from ankle injury and Alice losing her friend to the school system and all that entails. I guess she has friends in Scouts though? It’s so hard when our kids are struggling and then to be grieving over the death of a dear neighbour and surrogate grandparent, just devastating. Pip has never got over the death of Aunty Maureen (adopted family friend) nor her two granddads. The online school keeps Pip going and she has two friends one in Lancaster and one in Liverpool but she misses having a local friend to hang out with. Yes resilience builds strength of character and I’m sure Alice will be stronger for navigating these challenging times ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much San. It is so hard to watch our children struggling isn't it. She does have other friends, thankfully, but this has hit her really hard, the lack of empathy has made it so much harder for her.

      Delete
  6. Sorry Alice is having to deal with this change in such a way, it must be very hard for her and for you too. A shame to lose your former neighbour as well. Change can be very difficult to deal with. I hope your ankle is better soon, it sounds painful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ, yes change is so hard to deal with, it does help us become more resilient but is hard when we are in it. My ankle is improving slowly, I can walk fine but notice reduced movement when I doing yoga.

      Delete
  7. Dear SM, that's a lot of change to deal with. It's funny old time of year too. I'm sure you're daughter's resilience will stand her in good stead. I hope your ankle is better and that the new neighbours are nice. May they heat the walls up to toasty temperatures! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of change indeed. I am very much hoping that Alice will build resilience and it will stand her in good stead too. My ankle is getting there, walking is fine, there are some yoga poses which are still a little uncomfortable.

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, the fall does sound really painful. Frustrating too as there's so little you can do other than rest it. And rest is not always an option! I hope it's better now.
    Sorry to hear about Alice's challenges too. It's so difficult when your own emotions are unacknowledged at any age, but especially when she's been dealing with so much else. I hope Autumn brings some better days for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ankle is getting there slowly, thank you, walking is fine just some yoga poses that are still painful. Thank you for your kind words about Alice, it is much appreciated.

      Delete
  9. Change is difficult for me so I can empathize with what you and Alice are facing. I wish I could help you!! I believe talking them out and doing things you love as much as possible with soften all the hard feelings that come with change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your care Karen. You are so right that talking can help to soften things, I love that, it feels so comforting, thank you.

      Delete
  10. Empathising with you all. Hopefully you will be back on an even keel soon. Change is hard but helps to mould us in a stronger form too. Hope that ankle is getting better. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B, you are so right that change is hard but also strengthens us too. I very much hope Alice will come out of this feeling like that has been the case for her. My ankle is slowly improving, walking is fine but some yoga poses are still a little uncomfortable.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)