Creating opportunities

21 October 2019


Thank you so much to all of you who left me such lovely comments on my last post.  I really appreciate your kindness.  Writing about my own creativity has made me think about why I place such an emphasis on this in our lives, I have never really considered why I felt this to be so important until now.  

I have written about creativity in our lives, about my worry that I was not offering my children, particularly Cameron, enough opportunities to cultivate creativity.  My children were much younger then and I was spending time reading other blogs and beating myself up for not doing the sorts of activities that I was seeing and reading about.  I needed confirmation that what I was doing was the right way for my family and I found this in the wonderful book The Artists Way for Parents, this author has written many books on the art of creativity not just this one aimed at parents.  It made me realise that creativity is so much more than paper, scissors and glue.

When I was a child I spent a lot of my time watching my parents make things. My father built an extension to our family home, it doubled the size of the house, he did this in the evenings and weekends, whilst holding down a full time job outside the home.  My mother used to make all our clothes, this was at a time when children's clothes were not widely available and those that were were expensive, she would also knit and draw.  I loved to watch them both, as I expect they must have done, one of my grandfathers painted, I have a few of his paintings hanging in my house, and worked with wood, I have a jewellery box he made for me.  One of my grandmothers knitted, her needles would click as she sat and talked to us, I still have a jumper she knitted me for my 18th birthday.  All that watching has been part of my journey of making, it has made me realise the possibilities, not to default to buying something made by someone else.  The act of making something is as important to me as the finished product, well most of the time.

I was lucky enough to go to schools that encouraged creative subjects, my parents chose the secondary school that I attended (my siblings and I went to different schools at this age) because of its excellent music department.  I wouldn't say that the current education system places such emphasis on these subjects, education the world over has a hierarchy of subjects with maths and languages at the top, the humanities and science in the middle and the arts at the bottom.  Even within the arts subjects there is a hierarchy with art and music at the top and dance and drama at the bottom.  Those children whose parents encourage creativity at home are not going to miss out, but what about those children whose parents either don't value this or don't have the money to provide the opportunities.

This approach to education, where arts subjects are marginalised, is creating skill shortages for many industries and occupations.  If there are no opportunities to explore and play with different materials where are our future designers going to come from?  The rather wonderfully named Professor Kneebone, a professor of surgical education, has noted a decline in the dexterity of his students, their ability to perform important surgical skills of cutting, stitching and sewing are having to be taught to his students, they are no longer able to make the assumption that they will be good with their hands. Are we going to have a dearth of original thinkers if the focus of education remains geared towards knowledge and SAT scores?

I wonder if any readers here had a favourite subject at school which was an arts subject?  I wonder if you were left feeling that you were not talented, as the subjects you were good at were not valued and you were steered away from them as you were told you would never get a job doing that?  I hope that the decision makers involved with education bring back creativity into the curriculum and value the contribution that arts subjects can make to society as a whole.

What does creativity mean to you?

25 comments:

  1. I’ve always loved practical, arty activities. Sewing knitting, crochet, you name it. As a primary school teacher I revelled in the chance to do practical activities with the children. The lessons were always popular , as were music and drama sessions. I agree the time for learning these crafts and skills has been curtailed Of late. We’re doing our children a disservice force feeding them grammar and maths ad nauseum. Time to get back to more life skills in this impoverished world of ours. The children will be much happier and healthier for it. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely to hear that, as a teacher, you enjoyed teaching your pupils practical activities, I loved them when I was a child. I totally agree that they are life skills and would love to see them being treated as such not only by the education system but by society in general.

      Delete
  2. I was told my my art teacher in high school that I couldn't draw. I took that as a sign I was not creative. This was totally wrong! I love being creative and over the years have learned many creative arts including creative writing, floristry and found my natural medium for creativity in quilting. Everyone needs to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really sorry to hear that you were told you were no good at drawing, it is all too easy for us to equate that with not being creative. From the little I have learnt about you from your blog I would say that you are really creative, I love reading about what you have been doing. And yes everyone needs to be creative.

      Delete
  3. I certainly had the same experience at school, arts subjects were at the bottom of the pile, but I didn't actually mind that at the time as I didn't really enjoy those kind of lessons. I wish now that I had and that I'd been taught more about things like needle craft. I know my children's school put as much emphasis on these subjects as academic subjects though, I thought schools had come a long way in recognising the importance of them since I went to school, but perhaps not, perhaps that's just my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that your children went to a school that did place emphasis on creative subjects. I am sure that some schools do, it would be so much better though if all schools did and the national curriculum allowed more time for it.

      Delete
  4. Yes! Great post.

    My favourite subject at school was textiles and I was a pretty good at multi media stuff. By the time I got to A-Levels I felt I was being pulled in lots of different directions. I was very much pushed to do more academic subjects rather than the art (painting and drawing), textiles and drama I wanted to do. I actually remember my drama teacher literally pulling my arm to try to get me to sign up for drama, rather than the geography I actually chose.

    I did attend art college after my terrible A-Levels, but it was the wrong time for me and I totally wasted the opportunity, I think it was in part because it was in my brain it was a waste of time and on the other hand I felt that because I was more fabric based than painting a drawing I wasn't as good as others on my course.

    I have gone back to embroidery over the past 8 years or so, but I still tend to come up against the old "oh you're still doing that stuff, why don't you do x,y,z stuff that people want to buy?" I know people have good intentions but that's just not my thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at school which has left you feeling that you should be doing something other than being creative. I hope you find a way to make peace with those feelings and enjoy anything creative that you do.

      Delete
  5. I have just written a blog post about this very subject and about the Durham Report on creativity in education in the UK - a very interesting and important read. https://feltabulous.blogspot.com/2019/10/creativity.html
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I will head over and read it now. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Creativity comes in so many different guises and I now relish in the fact I can and do try many different crafts, creating comfortable living spaces, repurposing items or just cooking a lovely meal. A far cry from the horrors of school, where because of the teacher bullying I had to give up needlework classes, she had such a down on me because I am left handed and worked in a different way to her, her way or no way! Wonder what she would think now of the stumpwork, quilting and needlecrafts that I now do! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creativity does come in so many different guises that is a great way of putting it. I am so glad to hear that you now really enjoy being creative despite being treated so unkindly at school.

      Delete
  7. I've been a knitter for a really long time, I recently picked up watercoloring and sketching and have found the process to be quite enjoyable and the more I do it the more creative I become. And I love how one craft influences the other. Color combinations etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is so true, that more we do the more creative we become. That is what worries me the most about the decline of emphasis on this in education. I love that you have found that one creative process influences another.

      Delete
  8. Hi there, really interesting that you see maths and languages being at the top of the educational hierarchy system - maths certainly, but languages it seems to me there's not enough of learning outside our mother tongue in schools (particularly in English speaking nations). But couldn't agree more that arts are being sidelined in a way that will play out in increasingly obvious ways. My kids all went to Steiner schools when they were younger (well one still does) where they use their hands for craft making from a young age which I definitely notice helps with dexterity. It sounds like you've had the best education of all - watching for many years and observing then getting stuck in yourself. My primary school recognised me as someone who had a love of words and I was encouraged hugely, but secondary school for me was a creative desert and I didn't come back to writing until my mid-twenties as I thought I couldn't do it, and even if I could do it, it wasn't a 'proper' job. Schools need to be so careful not to kill a love of the arts among young people - some schools do well with this, others blatantly fail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that Steiner schools are very focused on handwork, I have been heavily influenced by the Steiner curriculum in our home education journey particularly the handwork side of things. You are right about language learning, I should have made that clearer, we don't place the emphasis on foreign language learning like they do in other countries, that is a whole other topic I feel! I am sorry to hear that school made you feel that writing was not a proper job, being able to write well is an amazing skill to have. It is very sad that it is a lottery in our education system as to whether you will be encouraged to be creative or not.

      Delete
    2. I had wondered if there was some Waldorf influence in your home :-)

      Delete
  9. I always love art in all it's creative forms, but at school I was forced to draw in a very different way, they all but killed my creativity. I went on to become a published artist and taught special needs children art in schools for over twenty years. I never used a scratchy pencil with my pupils, always paint, paint sticks or charcoal. Loved this post.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that your experience of art in school was so negative, I am glad to hear that you overcame this. I totally agree about the need for the right materials, I also believe that they should be good quality whatever the ability of the creator, this might mean that you have less of them, due to the cost, but they are so much easier to work with.

      Delete
  10. This is a difficult question, and I have had to "go away" and ponder.... Now I am back. Not much more able to say, the answer.

    I feel that creativity doesn't have to produce a tangible 'thing.' I feel we can live our life, with creativity, in many areas. None of which produce a painting, a sewed item, a garden, etc., etc.

    And that's about the best I can do. -smile-

    ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that creativity does not have to produce a tangible thing and think that is part of the issue in terms of education. In so many parts of the world education is about testing and it is very hard to test creativity. It is also this part of creativity which I was missing if you like when considering my own children's education, I thought we were not being creative enough because we were not producing tangible results but it is so much more than that as you say.

      Delete
  11. I suppose, even now, I find myself putting creativity at the bottom of my priorities and yet being creative provides me with peace and a clear mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you Jules, the value of creativity is immense but somehow we have all lost sight of it. I know I need to find a way to be comfortable with prioritising creativity in my own life as, like you, I find it comes behind everything else.

      Delete
  12. AWOL, blog-lag, behind, sorry :( Hopefully not sounding sycophantic, but with every post of yours I read, I love your writing more and more. I love the way you capture thoughts/ideas; they make me think and usually smile "ah, yes, me too"

    Creativity for me is freedom: freedom to express me, to be myself, and it can come in many forms not just the obvious "arty ones". Even how I set up the campervan is a form of creativity.

    Your comment about Prof Kneebone reminds me of a 'hospital' programme I watched recently - a surgeon doing something extremely dextrous with keyhole surgery joked that computer games were a great way of establishing fundamental spatial skills & awareness. So perhaps there is hope for the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Jayne. I also maintain hope that things will change, I just hope it comes before it is too late and we already have a big skills shortage. I love the way you have defined creativity for yourself, freedom that is a great way of putting it. It most definitely does come in many forms and it is some of those subtler forms, that we perhaps wouldn't even consider to be creativity, that have disappeared from curriculums pretty much completely.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)