A trove of creativity

16 October 2019

I realised, as I was writing my recent peek into our day post, that in the previous one I had promised that I would share a cardigan that I had recently finished knitting.  My long blogging break has made me forget the bits and pieces of our lives that I used to share here on a regular basis.  I love to make and create things, mostly things we wear or use, and gifts for friends and family, so I thought I would share not only my cardigan but also some of the other things that have been keeping me busy over the past few weeks.



The cardigan was a labour of love.  I started it way back in the Summer last year, around the time that we booked flights for a holiday in the winter sun, I thought this would be perfect to wear on our holiday.  The cardigan was not finished by then but I did take it with me, it was too hot for knitting so I only added the odd row.  I really enjoyed knitting this cardigan despite the length of time it took, it was one that I picked up and put down in between other projects.    I chose this pattern not only for the design, which I love, I also wanted to improve my knitting skills and it certainly has done that.  I was a bit worried about knitting all that lace, as I have had many disasters trying to knit lace patterns in the past, but I needn't have worried it was so much easier than I thought it would be and I could see where I had made a mistake which I hadn't been able to in the past, all part of the learning.


I have two projects on the needles now, the first is a tunic for Alice.  This pattern goes up to age 10, Alice's current age but she is so tall I was sceptical that it would be long enough, it isn't, I need to add at least 10cm to the length. That is quite a bit of extra knitting, when I got to the end of the first ball of wall and measured my knitting I realised that I had miscalculated the amount of yarn I would need, luckily I was able to buy an extra two balls from the same dye lot, the last two which was a great relief!


The other project on the needles is a cardigan for my nephew, I love this pattern it will be the fourth one of these I have knitted.  This a great knit for when we are watching something together as a family, which we often do , I can knit it in the dark/poor light.  This is knitting up so much quicker than the tunic as it is a much smaller size and it is all stocking stitch.



Over my years of knitting I have amassed quite a collection of needles.  I am not a fan of sewing up seams so I choose patterns that are knit in the round, these patterns often make use of double pointed needles or dpns.  Six years ago I made a case to keep them in but I continued to add to my collection and out grew this needle roll some time ago.  I have been meaning to make a bigger one for a long time, every time I visited my local sewing shop I would be reminded that I had once again forgotten to work out the measurements.  On a recent visit they had an offer on some end of roll pieces of fabric so I bought a piece hoping that I could make it work, lucky for me it did.  I hand embroidered the numbers on before I sewed it up, now I shouldn't need to use my needle gauge to find the needles for a project, provided I put them back in the right place of course!


We have been making little gnomes this year as each season has come along, they sit on our seasonal table. Earlier this year some dear friends of ours moved away to another country and I wanted to make them something that was small enough to be posted and would be enjoyed by the whole family.  So I made them a full set, one for each season, I hope that when they place each gnome on their seasonal table they will be reminded of all the lovely time we spent together, a  little piece of us in their new home.

What have you been making or creating recently?

*************************

Lace Cardigan Pattern here
Tunic Pattern here
Cardigan pattern here
Needle Roll Tutorial here
Peg Doll inspiration here

23 comments:

  1. Your cardigan is beautiful - well done ... I did a similar one last year but I'm new to seamless knitting and am not entirely happy with the result. However, it's all learning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all learning indeed, but always best to keep the enjoyment in there too. I hope you grow to love seamless knitting as time goes on.

      Delete
  2. fantastic sweater!! I made one at the end of spring and didn't wear it because of the seasonal changes, I'm excited to wear it this fall though. It just has to get a bit colder for wool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We can wear wool year round here, although only in the evenings in the 'warmer months'. I hope you enjoy wearing your new sweater soon now the temperatures are falling.

      Delete
  3. The cardigan is just lovely, I really enjoy knitting lace, it's cables I'm not so keen on knitting, though I do love the look of them. Oh, your little seasonal gnomes are so sweet, I'm sure they'll have raised a smile when your friends opened the parcel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, cables need concentration too don't they. I love them but I often make mistakes when knitting cables and then don't notice for a few rows! I too hope the gnomes are loved, they were only post a few days ago.

      Delete
  4. Oh the little gnomes are soooo precious!!!!!

    🍂🍁🎃🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cardigan turned out beautifully! Great job. I love seeing your collection of knitting needles as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The needles are so lovely to look at and are great to knit with too.

      Delete
  6. All your work is so beautiful and I just adore the needle case. The fabric is so pretty.
    The gnomes are adorable. They might even tempt me to hunt out my sewing needles. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I fell in love with that fabric a while ago, this was the last piece left in the shop and they were not going to order any more so it was a no brainer really. My children have also made gnomes like this, we had a look on Pinterest for some inspiration, the embroidery/stitches are not particularly difficult. I would advise buying good quality wool felt if you haven't bought any already as it is much thicker and has a better weight to it.

      Delete
  7. That cardigan is gorgeous! I love the deep peacock color. Also, that is quite a collection of needles. I can't imagine using all those. What a beautiful display. I am learning on washcloths and am a slow learner:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Some of them don't get used that often but all have been used at some point. Washcloths are a good place to start or scarves.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much, I do enjoy knitting it gives me such pleasure and is very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, your knitting is stunning, congratulations on finishing it. Love the gnomes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad it is finished and am really enjoying wearing it.

      Delete
  10. Those are very dear little gnomes! What a lovely gift for your friends. I can imagine them sitting together on a table or a window ledge. The colour of your cardigan is gorgeous; it reminds me of the deeper sea. Beautiful handmade things! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The gnomes are most likely to be used on a seasonal table, so each season one of them will be sat on their table.

      Delete
  11. Just love the gnomes, they are so cute and adorable.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed making them, I love this kind of making where you can let your imagination run.

      Delete
  12. I do like all your projects, especially the gnomes, they are just gorgeous.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved making each and every one of them.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)