What lies ahead?

20 September 2019


The Colour of Autumn
The world is full of colour
Tis Autumn once again
And leaves of gold and crimson
Are lying in the lane
There are brown and yellow acorns
Berries and scarlet haws
Amber gorse and heather
Purple across the moors
Green apples in the orchard
Flushed by glowing sun
Mellow pears and brambles
Where coloured pheasants run.

Saturday is the Autumn Equinox, that special day of the year when the daylight and darkness is the same all over the world because the sun is directly over the equator.  It heralds the beginning of its  journey south and where I live in the Northern hemisphere, we will be getting less and less sun over the coming weeks, our days will get shorter and our nights longer.  It is the start of Autumn, the door way to Winter, a time for us to prepare for the change in the earth's energy.

This is a time to be thankful to the abundant earth and all the resources we harvest.  We take our Earth and the gifts it gives us so freely rather for granted, it can be hard to maintain a strong connection when we are so far removed from the means of production.  We need to do all we can to change the thoughts of those that think they can continue to take, take, take without heed to the consequences.

This is a time to be thankful for the rain which will fall in greater abundance in the coming weeks and months, however annoying and tiresome we find it, it is doing an important job replenishing the soil.

This is also a time to give thanks to all those wonderful people we have in our lives and who we spend time with, be it face to face or online, for their support and connection.  We are so lucky to live in countries where we have freedom to communicate with whomever we wish to and have the choice over how we do this.

As the summer fades away and autumn takes its place, so too does the light.  This is the time of diminishing light with days that can be gloomy, the clouds heavy with rain.  For many animals this is the start of a period of rest, either by hibernating or sleeping more and eating less.  It is also a period of rest for the earth, the leaves fall from the trees and plants as they preserve their energy within and enter their period of dormancy.  Would that we could sleep or remain dormant through this time, but our lives don't fit that pattern.

I know I have been guilty of resisting these dark days and of wanting the light and warmth to return as quickly as possible.  By embracing the darkness we too can preserve our energy, we too can slow down allowing ourselves to recharge, like the earth.

So lets look forward to the time of darkness and embrace it into our lives.  Lets be kind to ourselves, give ourselves permission to rest and do less.  Lets reclaim the balance within each of us which can get lost in the busyness of life in the warmer months.  As the circle of the year turns we will be able to head into Spring in six months time, recharged and bursting with energy.

Whilst we are in this time of resting and recharging we can reflect on our achievements throughout those recent warmer months, look back and think about all those amazing things we have done however big or small.  This is not a time to be starting big new projects but rather to think and plant seeds in our heads of where we would like to be, to go, to do in the future.

We can also use this time to let go of things, de-clutter your house and give away those things that are no longer of use to you.  De-clutter your minds and let go of ideas or values which no longer serve you, that are troubling you or causing you pain, listen to and trust your inner voice for guidance and wisdom. Find a way that works for you to release them, maybe writing them down and burning them.

I hope you will move into Autumn with more strength, embracing rather than resisting the dark.  I hope you will be kind and gentle to yourselves.  I hope you can find the time each day or week to rest and be still to enable your body to recharge and reclaim any balance lost.

20 comments:

  1. I do agree with your sentiments, so many of us are rushing through the days forgetting to stop and smell the roses. It´s quite good to realise you can be in the now and just enjoy. This is the time of year that we really enjoy, the temperatures have dropped to mid 20´s, the flowers and plants are regenerating now the blistering heat has moved on giving us their splendid colours again, the furries are home more and becoming lap cats once more, even when the temps drop we usually get bright days to enjoy. Enjoy your weekend xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good way of putting it. It is good to stop and notice, something that gets lost in the busyness of life.

      Delete
  2. I must admit that I find it hard to be thankful when the days are short, dark and cold, I'm not a lover of winter, but this is a great way to look at things. Just like the earth, we all need a rest and it's good to embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have found some comfort here Jo. I hope you come to enjoy this time of year a little more now.

      Delete
  3. I never used to look forward to the darker days and colder weather but in recent years have discovered the ability to embrace each of the seasons and autumn is an especially beautiful time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful time of year, the colours never cease to amaze me. As a child my bedroom had a wonderful view of a wooded slope that was way off in the distance. I used to spend hours staring at the wood in the autumn as the colours changed slowly over the whole area in the autumn. Autumn is my favourite of all the seasons.

      Delete
  4. Here in New England there are many who don’t like autumn because it means the beginning of winter to them. Since winter lasts through March that means there are 6 months of every year that they don’t like because of the weather. If you think about it that’s half of their lives. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I had not thought about in that way, our winter lasts until at least March if not April here, so yes that is a long time wishing that something that you cannot do anything about would change.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely thoughtful post. It certainly speaks to me who, like Jo above, has never enjoyed autumn and winter. In fact over the last couple of years I've gone an awful long way, like 10,000 miles, specifically to avoid it! But this year feels different. After all the trauma of the projects on the house I'm in need of a good long rest. Perhaps winter is the perfect way to achieve it. Reading list at the ready..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do that it helps you to look forward to this time of year, enjoy your resting and reading.

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely poem. :)

    I actually love Autumn and Winter. I try to find the positive in the shortening days. I like feeling cosy and staying in by the fire and a good film, lighting candles etc. I must admit though that I am enjoying the glorious September sunshine we are having too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine is glorious isn't it, a wonderful farewell from the summer. I didn't used to be so positive about the Autumn and Winter but now, like you, I love it. I really looking forward to it as a hibernation and a time to go slowly. I am ready for it now.

      Delete
  7. I love this time of year, it's nice to have four seasons. Now I live in a house with big windows I don't even mind winter too much, I still get a lot of light even on a gloomy day which staves off the "walking through treacle" days and helps me to see the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have four seasons isn't it, I love that we have all four and that they are all distinct and quite different. I know what you mean about big windows, my house has them to and it makes the world of difference in the Winter months especially.

      Delete
  8. I'm the odd ball who loves darkness and nesting in the home. Probably because sunny hot days drain me and annoy my RA. I'm looking forward to fall and all the cosy knits I'll be knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that is odd at all. I have come to really love this time of year and certainly this year, like you, I am really ready for it. I too am looking forward to the nesting at home, resting and recharging.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful post.So thoughtfully written and meditative and embracing of the shorter, darker days to come. I needed to hear that this evening as I must confess I looked outside and gave a big sigh that it was 'so dark' so early, but reading your blog post centred me again - so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we passed the Equinox the dark is much more noticeable isn't it. Thank you for your lovely comment, I am so glad that it is has helped you to embrace the dark a little more. This can be a difficult time of year particularly if we try to resist what it can bring to us.

      Delete
  10. By chance, I just came upon your blog!! So glad I did!!!

    This post sounds as if we think, in quite the same lines. I recently wrote similar sentiments.

    Plus, I love blogs, which deal in "thinking," at least some of the time. -smile- Seems you do too.

    May we all learn to love whatever season, we find ourselves in.

    I do have a sort of a head start with Autumn love. I find earlier twilight, and earlier nights, to be cozy. Not everyone does of course. In fact my husband doesn't. So I know, for some, this is hard to accept. Wishing all could be able to easily slip into the Autumn rhythm.

    Yes, even the Winter season. After all, we have to live through whatever season is upon us. Why not try to enjoy, each one, as it comes? Instead of feeling bad/sad about this or that one.?

    Also, it is nice to see someone, who wants to embrace the dark of this coming time. I look on Autumn and Winter, as a time to fully slow down... To look inward... Let my body enjoy rest, without any feeling of... "Oh I should be doing thus and so." The earth rests. Let us do so too, as much as is possible. And look inward, during this time...

    Happy Autumn!

    🍂🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! Thank you for your lovely comment. I love the cozy too, I am looking forward to it so much now. I am in need of a rest after the busyness of the summer months. We do indeed have to live with whatever season is upon us, we would waste a great deal of it wishing otherwise!

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)