September in Photos

27 September 2019

Ah September you have been a wonderful month.  So much time spent outside nourishing and restoring me.  So much time going slow and noticing those things that pass you by when life is busy.  I am once again joining in the Photo Scavenger Hunt over on I live, I love, I craft, I am me.... here are my photos that inspired by words and words inspired by photos.

Cosy


Camping in a cooler month means that warm layers are vital for the evenings, actually they are vital for camping all year round here who I am kidding.  Packing for a trip at the beginning of the month meant that my favourite winter warm layer was dusted off and placed lovingly in the bag.  I knitted this, the pattern is mine, inspired by many I looked at on Ravelry, made up as I went along.  It was a labour of love, stitches unravelled as often as they were knitted until I reached the perfect pattern, shape and size.  On taking it out of the basket where it has been for the warmer months I realised that it could do with a wash, that will have to wait until it warms up again next year.

Changing Foliage


The great wonder of nature.  The beauty of Autumn.  

Scarf


Not so much a scarf but a cowl which does the same job.  I made this at the beginning of the month when it was cold enough for the hats and scarves to come out of hibernation.  The yarn was leftover from a cardigan I made for my nephew last year, an end of ball that was the perfect amount.  The pattern is here  if you would like to make one for yourself.

Baking


I love flapjack, it is my favourite snacking food, I make savoury and sweet versions.  I don't like using syrup to make it as I find it too sickly sweet, I have experimented over the years with alternative ingredients.  Medjool dates are great at sticking everything together, along with some butter and honey.  I have been trying to find other ingredients that compliment each other and provide that stickiness that will hold the flapjack together, a recipe I found online sounded hopeful.  I didn't have all the flavour ingredients suggested so I used what I had.  I love the taste combination of ingredients, sour cherries, cacao nibs, chopped almonds and desiccated coconut but I haven't yet perfected it staying together.  One particularly crumbly batch made a great breakfast with yogurt whilst we were camping this month so not a complete failure I would say!

Cobweb


I looked out of my bedroom early one morning the light, so special at that time of day, was catching shimmering silver patches on the hedge and the green roof.  It took me a few moments to realise that they were cobwebs covered in dew.  It bought this poem to mind:

The lawn is the fairies' washing green
And there, by the moonlight's mystic sheen
Their garments are spread in the soft night air
All fashioned neatly with skill and care
Until the dawn of the morning

Such gossamer gowns of silver-grey
All 'broided with pearls and diamonds gay
Must need to be dried by the moon's pale light
The sun's harsh rays would ruin quite
These dainty robes of the fairies
Janet Armstrong


Own choice


We spotted these acorns on a tree, a Sessile Oak Quercus Petraea, whilst out walking on our recent camping trip to Wales.  This tree is part of an Atlantic oak woodland, a habitat that is sometimes call the Celtic Rainforest, as important globally as tropical rainforest.  This is an ancient woodland that is mentioned in the Welsh legends of the Mabingion written down in the 12th century, and has been thousands of years in the making.  It was a really special and magical place to walk in.

44 comments:

  1. Beautiful :) I am in awe of your yarny creativity.
    I have never visited that amazing woodland in Wales, but I have walked through the same habitat on the west coast of Scotland and it is as magical as you describe, you can feel the ancient bones in the trees and mosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had only been to the same habitat in Scotland before this trip. You are so right about the ancient bones there is something really special about the place. My daughter and I were talking about all the things the trees would have seen in their lifetimes and wouldn't it be amazing if you could talk to them to find out what they had observed.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! Thank you for commenting on my blog and making me aware of yours. I shall follow your blog if I may. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment. I am looking forward to reading more on your blog and would love you to follow along with me.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. I love your fair isle sweater & so clever to work your own design. I've a great ginger cake recipe that uses honey rather than the usual golden syrup. Have a great weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I do like the sound of a ginger cake with honey, that is my kind of cake!

      Delete
  4. A lovely autumnal post. Love your jumper and I’m in awe that you designed it yourself. I often use maple syrup instead of golden syrup as it’s slightly less sweet and has a more mellow flavour. Enjoy your weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! Thank you for your lovely comment about my jumper. I too love to use maple syrup but sparingly as it is much more expensive than honey.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos. Your knitted items are gorgeous colours. Definitely perfect for camping and chilly days. Love the dew covered cobwebs and it was handy that the flapjack doubled up as breakfast granola. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The knitted items were perfect for camping and have been worn quite a bit since now that the temperatures have dropped a bit.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was, I couldn't believe how intricate they were, I really didn't think I would be able to get a decent photo of it and was so pleased that you could really see the detail in the photos.

      Delete
  7. I love the colours of the changing foliage but my favourite just has to be the cobweb shot, it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it, there must have been about thirty or forty of them that morning. I haven't seen them again since, the conditions overnight must have been just right. I am really glad that the detail came out in the photo, as they were so intricate close up.

      Delete
  8. Oh yum, I love flapjack, one of my favourites. The cobweb is beautiful, all the work that has gone into that, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing the web, isn't it. I spent ages looking at them after I had taken the photos. There were so many of them too, from a distance they looked so like small patches of fabric. Just like the poem describes.

      Delete
  9. Lovely post and how clever of you to have designed as well as knitted the beautiful sweater. I shall not be copying you with that but I fancy knitting a cowl like yours for the winter. Not yet cold enough here to wear one now so will have time to make it before the cold days arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always best to be prepared and knit these things to use in the future. Hope you find a good pattern if you don't use this one.

      Delete
  10. I too like flapjack but have never found the perfect recipe. If it falls to pieces, well it still tastes good! Love the cobweb photo. My favourite is the acorns only because we were given an oak tree that a friend grew from an acorn he collected at Auschwitz. This year (it is about 12 years old) I noticed acorns on it. Such a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My flapjack made with honey, dates and butter sticks together beautifully, I will have to share the recipe. I would love to have another recipe with a different set of ingredients, I will keep trying. At least the failures taste good!

      Fancy having a an acorn from Auschwitz, I have been there it is a very emotional place.

      Delete
  11. Oh I love the poem! As I love those cobwebs with dew! So beautiful, both... -smile-

    Never heard of this kind of a "flapjack," and they look delicious. (Here, a "flapjack" is a kind of a pancake.) Must look up your flapjack recipes!

    Oh the changing colors of Autumn!!!

    Never heard of an Atlantic Oak Woodland before either. Oh that sounds so wonderful! An ancient woodland mentioned in Welsh legends. How truly magical a place, to be able to walk in!!!! Another thing, I want to look up more info, about!

    You are a wealth of new information. Thank you!!!

    🍁🍂🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I am glad you enjoyed your visit here. It is one of the things I love about blogging the sharing of information. I love it when I visit a blog and learn something new.

      I have only shared one flapjack recipe on this blog and it is not one that I have made recently. I will have to rectify that and share some more!

      Delete
  12. I love that sweater!!!! Gorgeous! I am thrilled that the weather is changing here and we are inching our way to October. I like feeling cold too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about wrapping up to stave of the cold isn't there and that lovely feeling you have after spending time outside in the cold and then coming into the warmth of the house.

      Delete
  13. ooh I love your jumper - fantastic that you designed it yourself - I'd love to follow along with you. You've inspired me to do a bit of baking when I get a weekend to myself. Lovely set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you! Hope you find the time to do some baking and then enjoy the fruits of your labour.

      Delete
  14. Oh what lovely lovely photos - each one I looked at I thought - this is my favourite picture, then I would say the same on the next one!
    thank you for the link and for joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thank you for hosting such a lovely link up. I really enjoy thinking about the photos and words and then seeing what everyone else has come up with.

      Delete
  15. The sweater is wonderful. You're quite skilled. The cobwebs outside can be pretty; but I've noticed some inside on the window ledges, guess I need to get dusting, lol. But, it seems there are more both in and out this year, which makes me wonder how tough of a winter we're going to have. The picture with the leaf color and moisture is awesome. You really captured it. I'm not a fan of fall, mostly cause I hate to see summer end and even more because I truly hate winter and since that comes after fall, it makes me grumpy. lol Popped over from a mutual friends blog, it's always fun meeting new bloggers.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome, thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment. We have lots of cobwebs inside here too I usually leave some of them as they often contain egg sacks. We get lots of flies here so I want to encourage the spider population so they eat some of the flies!

      Delete
  16. Your knitting is gorgeous and that web is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The webs were amazing in real life, I spent ages looking at them all once I had taken some photos.

      Delete
  17. Re: your question in my blog comments...

    All I know is, that in my city, it is illegal to reverse out into traffic. Which I have not known, until recently!!!! Eeeeeeek!!! -smile-

    🍁 🍂 💛 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely jumper, such beautiful colours. The spider web is quite impressive, very dense. I am trying to spot the spider :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know you have just made me realise that when I was taking the photos of those webs and looking at them more closely I don't think I could see a single spider, but they must have been there somewhere!

      Delete
  19. Lovely photographs. I think I must make a cowl again, I will definetly give this pattern a try. There are Sessile oaks growing at the entrance of the river walk at Bolton Abbey. Their history and details are on a board there. I had never heard of them till I saw them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy your knitting. I think Sessile Oaks are quite common in the UK but they are quite hard to differentiate from the Common Oak until the acorns start to grow.

      Delete
  20. I adore that sweater. You make me want to learn knitting, although I'm sure I wouldn't be tackling such a complicated project for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I wouldn't recommend starting with a pattern such as that, although with practice it is not as difficult as all that. It is like any skill the more you do the easier it becomes.

      Delete
  21. Oh my that sweater is beautiful...and those cobwebs. Just so pretty...if only there weren’t any spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cobwebs were so amazing, I keep looking out of my window each morning in the hope that I will see them again.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)