Nourishing Sunlight

28 August 2019


It has been a wonderful few days here weather wise, warm and sunny.  You might be thinking so what, it is August in the Northern Hemisphere so it should be! Our weather is anything but predictable, talking about it is a common British pastime.  Last week it was cool and wet, cool enough for jumpers and shoes and it rained pretty much all week which also meant cloudy grey skies too.  By next week, who knows, it might be cold again, the forecast is just that, a forecast and is rarely correct more than 24 hours in advance.  You can see why we always talk about the weather, it keeps us on our toes!

Fine weather means that washing can be hung outside once again.  I love it when washing dries outside it has a special smell doesn't it, particularly in the Spring when it starts to warm and it dries in a day.  No amount of synthetic chemicals can reproduce that wonderful scent of outdoor dried clothes.  Often my neighbour is hanging his out too and we stand and chat whilst we do so, putting the world to rights across the fence.

Near to my washing line is a Rowan tree, a tree that was bought to us by a bird most probably sat on the fence next to it and pooping the seeds on the ground. We know how much the birds love the berries from this tree so we let it grow for them.  It is currently covered in a fine crop of those berries, yesterday this tree was busy with birds feasting.  They are usually a sign of Autumn, a crop for the birds when other food is starting to run scarce, this year they are so early, having already been on the tree for some time.  I noticed that the birds were taking just a few at a time, perhaps their way of preserving them so they last longer as a food source.

The week of rain did not motivate me to spend time in the garden, as this has been followed by warm sun, weather much loved by the weeds, I couldn't put it off any longer.  I have only really touched the surface but at least the plants that I do want growing have a bit more space to do so.  The polytunnel in particular has turned into a jungle with cucumber and summer squashes taking over, somewhere at the back are the courgette plants which are not very easy to get to.  They have been producing many very small courgettes which we have been eating for weeks.  I was being most careful, so I thought, to make sure that I was always picking the biggest ones so you can imagine my surprise when I found two huge courgettes that had escaped my attention buried under the myriad of growth! I have now picked, grated and bagged them up for freezing, 13 cups worth.  I discovered a while ago that courgettes make a great alternative to avocados in smoothies which I make two or three times a week.  Avocados don't grow in my country so they have to be imported, added to that the huge amounts of water required to produce one fruit they are not something that we buy very often, if at all.  I sure will also be making this delicious bake too.

I wasn't full of motivation for much whilst it was raining, do you find that too, especially when it is cold.  I am looking forward to the Autumn but I am not ready for the summer to be over quite yet, a few more weeks would be lovely, please if you don't mind.  I mostly sat on the sofa knitting, hats and things for cold weather, probably making myself feel worse in the process.  When the sun comes out I don't want to be sitting around, then I want to be doing.

Sunday afternoon Alice and I had a great couple of hours in the village outdoor swimming pool it was really hot and the cool of the pool was perfect.  The rest of the afternoon was spent pottering in the kitchen, cooking tea and sorting a picnic for the following day.  The rest of the family were outside the back of the house, fettling with a whole heap of bits that they had found in the garage, every now and then laughter would waft in the house and envelop me in the happiness of it all.

We were blessed with a three day weekend here, this last weekend, an extra day as a family.  We were so happy it was sunny as we were invited to join some friends for a birthday bike ride on Monday, an activity that is not much fun in the rain.  Quiet lanes surrounded by beautiful countryside, great company and a bit of cloud to keep the temperatures down, perfect.  I do love the area where I live.

I now have the spring back in my step.  Yesterday I wrote myself a longish to do list, all the jobs that I really should have done the week before but my mojo was in hiding.  I got all those jobs done and some, yay.  So please Mr Sunshine can you stay around a while longer, I love the hibernating months of Autumn and Winter but I am not quite ready for them just yet.

15 comments:

  1. As I also live on an island I understand the British obsession with the weather - it changes so quickly as high and low pressure systems eddy around the coasts! I loved your photo of the rowan tree. I was reading about them the other day and trying to remember if I have ever seen one. The British treated Tasmania as a sort of arboretum and imported all their favourite trees, so there are sure to be rowans about somewhere, but I don't recall one.
    Rowans feature in one of my favourite children's novels - Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge. The children use rowan branches as protection against the unpleasant magic being directed at them in the woods. Rowan is traditionally a protection against evil, so your house is well-guarded:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for your lovely comment! I haven't heard of that novel so I just looked it up and can't believe it has passed me by, so thank you for the recommendation I shall see if I can find a copy of it now.

      Delete
  2. Summer is my favourite season so I'm always sad when signs of autumn start creeping in. Having said that, although the sunny days have been lovely and very welcome, I have not enjoyed the stifling nights. We've been sleeping with the windows wide open and yet there just hasn't been any air. Things are about to change here though, it's much duller this morning and we're forecast a day of rain, though that hasn't materialised just yet. Lower temperatures too. I do hope this isn't the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it was wet here today but still warm. I have all my fingers crossed that it will stay warm for a while yet!

      Delete
  3. I love to get the washing hung out on the line. Seeing it blowing in the breeze is one of my favourite things.
    I hope summer will stay a while longer. I've been enjoying spending so much time outdoors. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed being outside too, it is good to do it all year round but more time consuming in the cooler months with all the extra layers you need to put on and take off each time you go out.

      Delete
  4. We had a long heat wave that finally broke earlier this week and it feels and smells like fall. I am in my glory and want to knit all the stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee, hee. I was thinking of you as I wrote this post. I think your temperatures are a tad warmer where you live, you are a long way south of me!

      Delete
  5. I never quite understood the British obsession with the weather. Funny enough, my children obsess about it, it must be something that is imprinted on babies born here :-)

    I'd love a wee Rowan tree. They are pretty, good for the birds and don't grow into absolute giants. I am going to copy your idea of freezing grated courgette (next year), this never once occurred to me - such a good way to keep on top of the harvest. We don't have any courgettes this year because last time we grew them, everybody was so fed up with eating them that it seemed wasteful to grow more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is imprinted, perhaps we have a weather infatuation gene, I am intrigued now. Not thought about it that way. My sister in law is German I will ask her thoughts too. Thank you you have got me thinking.

      Freezing courgette never occurred to me either and we had the fed up of eating them here too, I can't remember where I stumbled on the idea but it seem so obvious when I thought about it! It it quite nice to eat them in the winter too especially towards the end when we are all getting fed up of the endless root vegetables which are getting a bit past their best!

      Delete
  6. September is quite often a lovely month for weather. I hope so, given how far behind I am with the garden this year. The only trouble is that I now appear to have damaged a rib.. not conducive to putting weight behind the garden fork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love my laundry drying outside, one of my favourite things to do in fact, is to hang the laundry in the clothesline, it's like a moment to be with myself while I am doing it. ..
    I get what you are saying about the english weather, as a Mediterranean person (I am originally from Catalonia) I used to hate rainy days back when I was living in Catalonia, but since I have been living in England I have developed this kind of love for rainy days that I never knew before, I appreciate it for what it is and I now see the bright side of it.
    Hope this September can give us a bit more sunshine for then be ready for the more darker times, which I love too ��
    Lots of Love �� xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, how lovely of you to drop by and comment, I have just been catching up on your blog too. It is so true about seeing the bright side of the rain, you are right we should look at this side too, we couldn't live on this planet without the rain it nourishes us in so many ways. Thank you for the the reminder x

      Delete
  8. All the classes at my son's school are named after trees they have in the grounds and his class is called Rowan :-) Beautiful photo you have taken of the bright berries against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely idea to name the classes after the trees in the school grounds. I hope this inspires the children to find more about the tree their class is named after.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)