August (sort of) in Photos

30 August 2019

August has been a funny month, periods of lovely hot weather followed by periods of relentless rain, cold and grey, I am ready for it to be over, roll on September.  We had some fun adventures, despite that, not all these photos was actually taken in August, some are from the past year.  I have noticed that I have taken far less photos since I stopped blogging, but now that I have started again I am sure that the camera will out and about far more often.  Joining in with I live, I love, I craft, I am me... here are my photos inspired by words and words inspired by photos.

Mark


When we stop and really look, we notice.  A small patch of grass growing in the sand, small and seemingly insignificant. The wind blows and its delicate ends have traced a wee pattern.  The charm of nature.

Duck


A mother mallard and her chicks.  A rather charming duck house floating in the middle of the Shropshire Canal built to carry tub boats of coal, ore and limestone, now a very quiet place but once an epicentre hustle and bustle carry the fruits of industry in Coalbrookdale.

Window


A beautiful ornate window on a Victorian industrial building, in Coalbrookdale, where tiles were once made.  This is now a fascinating tile museum which sounds like the most unlikely place to while away your time but we spent many hours there on a recent holiday in the area.

Arm


A supporting arm for the wealth of growth in our poly tunnel without which we would not be able to venture into.  It is really full of tasty growth and bounty this year with courgettes, summer squash, cucumber, tomatoes, lettuces and salad leaves for the eating.  My garden would not be quite so productive without this wonderful space.

Straw


Straw in the making.  This is in my front garden, a seed most likely dropped and germinated from the bird feeders which are attached to the post in the background of this picture.  A few years ago this area was covered in sunflowers which again were seeds dropped from the bird feeders.  We have several ears of wheat this year.  I love how much of what grows in my garden comes from the birds themselves.  We are leaving this wheat for them to pick at.

Rare (Own choice)


Cameron is working towards the last level of the John Muir Award, this requires him to spend a minimum of 160 hours Exploring, Discovering and Conserving wild places.  We have spent many hours this summer attending events hosted by our local wildlife trust, it has been a real privilege to be involved in some of the important work they do to conserve our local wildlife. One of these events was a butterfly walk along an abandoned railway line which is now a beautiful nature reserve with a large number of butterfly species including this rather rare beauty the Scotch Argus, one of only two populations to be found in England (the other just south of this) most of these butterflies are found in Scotland. I was amazed at the other people on this walk and how far they had travelled to see this butterfly.  There were very few local people this walk. In truth this made me a little uncomfortable, whilst I am sure as a butterfly enthusiast it is great to see an unusual and rare butterfly, but from a conservation point of view is traveling hundreds of miles to see it a good thing? 

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos - I do love the trail marks that have been left in the sand. thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, those little ducklings, so cute. Yes, blogging does make us get our cameras out and I think I definitely notice the world around me more because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so cute, that photo was taken a while ago now so I expect they will have grown big by now. It is good to notice isn't it. I am definitely seeing the world differently again since I have started blogging again, I am noticing so much more and loving it.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Hawthorn abut the trail marks; well spotted. My 'pond' is not big enough for a floating duck house! You were lucky to see the Scotch Angus butterfly but I'm not sure about travelling far to see it. We once had a Corncrake in our fields, it was all alone but we told no-one as we did not want a load of twitchers descending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow a Corncrake they are so rare. I was only reading about them the other day and why they declined to the numbers that they have. I am glad to hear that you kept that quiet.

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos! When our children were each going into ninth grade they had to find 100+ flora items for advanced biology. I had fun looking for all the items, I'm not sure how excited the kids were about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a lot of items to find! What fun though!

      Delete
  5. Some great photos for the topics, I like the wheat ear and it's good that you're leaving it for the birds to pick at but my favourite just has to be those cute little ducklings on the floating duck house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely aren't they. The children asked me to take that photo as they loved them so much, little did I know then that it would used in this way!

      Delete
  6. Love your pictures especially the duck on her safe haven and that lovely window. So simple but elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought that too about the window. It was a long building with many windows decorated like this along its length. It makes modern industrial buildings look very plain and dull by comparison.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the photos. I love seeing butterflies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, your Mark pic reminds me of a spider's web, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a bit like a web, not really 'noticed, that. It was so cool, when we looked they were all over the path as we walked to the beach.

      Delete
  9. I hear you on the choosing holidays based on the wildlife we have been known to do that too. These people weren't on holiday they had travelled to see the butterfly and then return home again. We loved that museum we were in there for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I will be sure to join in with September's Hunt. That's amazing that you saw such a rare butterfly. I went on a local rspb walk in the Bowland area in Spring and saw ring ouzels and green hairstreak Butterflies. I never realised they lived so close by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too. I had no idea that we would see it on our walk, it certainly wasn't why we were there!

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)