Reading

13 April 2013

My youngest has recently been drawn to fairy tale type stories.  She seeks them out in the library and I love reading them to he, my eldest did not like these stories at all so I have never had the chance to share them with my own children until now, in the hope that I would, I have a small collection of beautiful illustrated fairy tale story books which I hope I will now get to share.  This week we found a lovely book in the library about a Princess on a search for her kingdom.


The Princess who had no Kingdom by Ursula Jones is a delightful story of a princess who has all her worldly goods on her cart which she travels with as she searches for her kingdom.  She makes her living taking things from place to place on her cart.  On her search she encounters many beautiful palaces and people who have much wealth but they are not quite what she is looking for.  She does, in the end, find what she is searching for a soul mate who want what she does in life, money is not important.  The illustrations are beautiful.  Some pages are in colour and some in silhouette reminiscent of those that you would find in a Jan Pieńkowski book.



My small collection of fairy tales is the following books.

Granny's Wonderful Chair by Frances Browne is a wonderful collection of tales written by the author, our version includes beautiful illustrations by Gisèle Rime.

A collection of the well known Hans Christian Anderson stories.
The Rainbow Book of Nursery Tales by Sam Childs is a collection of all the well known tale such as Three Little Pigs and Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  It is illustrated with simple, bright pictures.

Joining in with The Children's Bookshelf a sharing of all things related to Children's books.

1 comment:

  1. The Princess Who Had No Kingdom looks fantastic. We love fairy tales in our house. The illustrations are beautiful! I'm looking forward to reading it!

    Thank you for the recommendations and for linking with The Children's Bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)