Looking

27 August 2012

Why is it that all the males in my life are utterly rubbish at looking for things.  I remember when I was a child if my dad had lost something we all had to stop what we were doing to help him look.  As I got older I realised that he was at a complete loss as to how to go about finding anything.  My husband is pretty much the same.

When my eldest was born, I vowed to ensure that he was not the same.  I have tried really hard to provide an environment for him to learn these skills, I though I was doing ok with this until recently.  My youngest, a girl is far better than him already at only three.  I am not going to give up but I have been thinking about why this should be.

So far my observations are (no pun intended) that my youngest seems to be much more aware of what is going on around her, she notices and processes things in such a way that it is more observant.  Whereas my eldest is much more focused, that is not to say my youngest isn't, but in such a way that what is happening around him is not observed in a way that he notices what is beyond his immediate environment.

I may be completely wrong on this one of course, I am aware that males and females brains are totally different which is due in part to the way they are wired when we are young.  Nothing I can do will change this wiring, but I am not going to give up on nurturing a looking ability in my son.  If you have any thoughts or observations I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. No answers just a bucket load of sympathy!! Both Dave and Benedict are just the same unless it is related to something that they orgagnise, ie the workshop in Dave's case and the Lego for Benedict! In fact Benedict can identify which Lego belongs to which set if they are lying jumbled on the floor, but ask him to find/fetch an item in easy view and he's lost!!

    I haven't read the book but Men are from Mars and Women from Venus springs to mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not read that one either but heard of it maybe I should give it a go. I am not going to give up on this one, even if I may be flogging a dead horse!

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)