Finding Balance

21 September 2020


It is the time of Autumn Equinox here in the Northern Hemisphere,  (for readers in the Southern Hemisphere you can read my post about the Spring Equinox here) that special day of the year when the daylight and darkness is the same all over the world because the sun is directly over the equator.  It heralds the beginning of its journey south and where I live in the Northern hemisphere, we will be getting less and less sun over the coming weeks, our days will get shorter and our nights longer.  It is the start of Autumn, the door way to Winter, a time for us to prepare for the change in the earth's energy.

The Colour of Autumn
The world is full of colour
Tis Autumn once again
And leaves of gold and crimson
Are lying in the lane
There are brown and yellow acorns
Berries and scarlet haws
Amber gorse and heather
Purple across the moors
Green apples in the orchard
Flushed by glowing sun
Mellow pears and brambles
Where coloured pheasants run.


This is a time to be thankful to the abundant earth and all the resources we harvest.  We take our Earth and the gifts it gives us so freely rather for granted, it can be hard to maintain a strong connection when we are so far removed from the means of production.  We need to do all we can to change the thoughts of those that think they can continue to take, take, take without heed to the consequences.

This is a time to be thankful for the rain which will fall in greater abundance in the coming weeks and months, however annoying and tiresome we find it, it is doing an important job replenishing the soil.

This is also a time to give thanks to all those wonderful people we have in our lives and who we spend time with, be it face to face or online, for their support and connection.  We are so lucky to live in countries where we have freedom to communicate with whomever we wish to and have the choice over how we do this.

As the summer fades away and autumn takes its place, so too does the light.  This is the time of diminishing light with days that can be gloomy, the clouds heavy with rain.  For many animals this is the start of a period of rest, either by hibernating or sleeping more and eating less.  It is also a period of rest for the earth, the leaves fall from the trees and plants as they preserve their energy within and enter their period of dormancy.  Would that we could sleep or remain dormant through this time, but our lives don't fit that pattern.

I know I have been guilty of resisting these dark days and of wanting the light and warmth to return as quickly as possible.  By embracing the darkness we too can preserve our energy, we too can slow down allowing ourselves to recharge, like the earth.

If it is your thing a Root Meditation is a lovely way to feel connected to the Earth.   Sit somewhere comfortable and close your eyes.  Imagine there is a tree behind you, you are leaning on it, feel this tree at your back, firm and strong.  Feel its energy, energy that is flowing through down into its roots.  Now begin to feel your roots reaching down into the Earth spreading out like the roots of the tree.  Feel those roots holding you firm.  Feel the earth's energy flowing through you.  Inhale the nourishment, absorb the clam.  Breath in and breathe out.  Feel your breath rising without any effort at all.  The breath of life, like day and night, like the tides, like the seasons, in and out, in and out.  All is in balance.

So lets look forward to the time of darkness and embrace it into our lives.  Lets be kind to ourselves, give ourselves permission to rest and do less.  Lets reclaim the balance within each of us which can get lost in the busyness of life in the warmer months.  As the circle of the year turns we will be able to head into Spring in six months time, recharged and bursting with energy.

Whilst we are in this time of resting and recharging we can reflect on our achievements throughout those recent warmer months, look back and think about all those amazing things we have done however big or small.  This is not a time to be starting big new projects but rather to think and plant seeds in our heads of where we would like to be, to go, to do in the future.

We can also use this time to let go of things, de-clutter your house and give away those things that are no longer of use to you.  De-clutter your minds and let go of ideas or values which no longer serve you, that are troubling you or causing you pain, listen to and trust your inner voice for guidance and wisdom. Find a way that works for you to release them, maybe writing them down and burning them.

I hope you will move into Autumn with more strength, embracing rather than resisting the dark.  I hope you will be kind and gentle to yourselves.  I hope you can find the time each day or week to rest and be still to enable your body to recharge and reclaim any balance lost.

28 comments:

  1. Lovely post - I am so excited for the fall. I agree that we often resist the dark; but, I've been trying to enjoy sitting by a candle in the morning darkness to do some thinking - quite a great way to start my day!
    Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of sitting in the morning darkness with a candle, that sounds wonderful. I am glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  2. De-cluttering is something I definitely need to embrace over the autumn and winter. A very thoughtful post.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie. I hope that you are able to do some decluttering over the coming months, it feels good to have a clear out doesn't it.

      Delete
  3. I'm never quite ready to let summer go but I think sometimes, our mind and bodies slip into the next season without us really realising it. Already I'm finding myself hunkering down on an evening with a craft project in my hand, more than I do during the summer months. I think it may have something to do with the nights drawing in, it's certainly getting darker much earlier now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark is creeping slowly back in isn't it. I know what you mean about letting the summer go, I think I am ready now, I am ready for the rest and quiet that comes with the autumn and winter. I love sitting in the evenings and doing some crafting, it is the best way to spend an evening x

      Delete
  4. A beautiful post. In recent years, more than ever before, I have come to appreciate this time of year, but I do find that I struggle with the dark days. Therefore, it is so important to focus on slowing down, taking the time to recharge. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. The dark days can be a struggle at times can't they, now that we no longer live by the hours of light but force ourselves to be awake before it is light and after the sun has set. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could live by the sunlight again? We have to find ways to recharge ourselves within the routines that we find ourselves in, don't we?

      Delete
  5. such joy ...this is my favorite time of year with cooler temps. Love the root meditation...just finished reading The Wild Trees....if we all could connect more with nature, this would be a much gentler world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the root mediation, I did it on Sunday with some friends and hope to do it again tomorrow with the children. Wild Trees sounds like an intriguing read. I agree that if we could all connect more with nature this would be a much gentler world.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Laurie. I am glad you enjoyed the root mediation. Autumn is a time of joy as every season is, it is important to find the beauty in each isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello thank you for this beautiful post especially the root meditation. I would love to include it in one of my Yoga classes if that is okay with you? They look like they will have to go onto Zoom for now as the place where I hold them is being extra cautious. I hope you have a wonderful birthday - when it arrive - and I hope my comment will publish ok this time.
    Thanks Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I haven't come back to you earlier, distracted by life.......I would be honoured for you to include this root meditation in your Yoga class, I am really grateful to you for asking. I hope that you classes go well for you.

      Delete
  8. I love darkness and the approaching winter feeling. I valiantly put up with summer just to get to fall and all of the gloriousness it beholds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you at this time of year Karen. I know how much you love the Autumn and Winter. I know that you will be happy to moving towards your beloved months xxx

      Delete
  9. Another beautiful post. I enjoyed the poem and loved the root meditation. Yes, here's to the greedy and inconsiderate becoming more enlightened.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would be lovely if we could enlighten more people wouldn't it, slow steps and I am sure we will.

      Delete
  10. I always want to hold onto summer but Autumn has a special feel too. Looking sunny and dry but with a nip in the air this wknd, so far. Promising Autumn weather I think. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to see the special elements of each season and what that holds. I am much more appreciative of our four distinct seasons. I am not sure I could live anywhere that doesn't have that!

      Delete
  11. I am late to the party, which seems to be my default these days, but Mabon blessings from this house to yours. xx. 🍂 🍎 🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome in Jayne, nobody is ever late to any party I am holding, my door is open for when people are ready to join. Lovely to have you join us!

      Delete
  12. A beautiful post, relaxing and meditative, something we need daily. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thelma, I had not thought of doing that meditation daily but that would be a good practice. I do meditate on a regular basis, I will perhaps do this one in the absence of any other meditation that comes to me.

      Delete
  13. Lovely post! I'm always daunted by the oncoming hours of dark as we pass the equinox, needing plenty of light to maintain my mental wellbeing. Your post is a soothing perspective on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our default has become to resist the darkness as it equates to less productivity. It is much harder to be productive when it is dark and it makes us want to rest. It is better that we listen to what our bodies are telling us, this is a time of rest and doing less, we should be making the most of that.

      Delete
  14. Such a beautiful post to remind us there is a time and purpose for all seasons. I’m definitely feeling the urge to clear out unwanted clutter to make the house cosy ready for winter. I think we need to make ourselves feel cosy and cared for more than ever this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina. There is a time and purpose for each season and I have now embraced this, I love what each has to offer. It is about being present isn't it and loving what is now rather than what is coming - which is good to look forward to but without that stopping you being in the present too.

      I agree that making ourselves cosy and caring for ourselves is even more important this year, it has been a tough one for us all.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for these beautiful nourishing words. I always feel intuitively, as you say, that this is a time for taking on less and gathering in. Somehow however, especially with the run-up to Christmas, this never seems to quite happen. But this year, perhaps with the pandemic also, this really is the opportunity this year to embrace the darker season.

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)