The recipe for an ordinary day

15 July 2020



When I wake each morning, during the week, one of the first things I do is housework.  You might think that is slightly bonkers, perhaps it is, but it works for me.  I used to be a do it all in one morning housework type of person but it would feel like a drudge when I did it that way.  It didn't matter how I thought about it, most weeks I would do the bare minimum.  When I discovered TOMM back at the beginning of the year I wasn't sure how long I would last, six months in and I am not going back to how I did things before, this totally works for me.  I had to write prompts in my diary at first to help me remember what I was doing each day, now it is just Fridays which is my deeper clean in a particular room day.

Doing the housework first is a good way for me to wake up, I am often slow to do this.  I am often alone in the house, Cameron is out doing his paper round and everyone else is still asleep.  I don't wake to an alarm so there is the odd morning when I wake up after my husband, it feels like someone is invading my space when that happens!  I sometimes plug myself into a podcast on my phone if I can cope with input.  

I don't do the jobs in the same order each day, I often get distracted by other things that need doing or checking messages on my phone and answering them.  When Cameron comes home with his daily newspaper that is often a distraction too, although these days I have retreated from most media input, the news reads more like a soap opera these days.  Have you come across Positive News?  I can recommend it as a source of news that won't have you feeling like you have got off the bus at the wrong stop and are now living in a parallel universe.


I have been doing yoga stretches in the morning for about three or four years.  I started with a sun salutation which lasted five minutes or so, I have gradually increased this to about twenty five minutes on average as I have added other positions.  I have woken exhausted or with headache or feeling very out of sorts and after just a few minutes of yoga I can feel everything relaxing and calming.  It is such an important start to my day that I can feel it when I don't do it, not to mention the fact that I feel stronger as it keeps my muscles in daily use.

With the housework done and my yoga stretches completed I head for the shower.  I have a friend who lives near one of the many lakes that gives my part of my country its well known name.  She had taken to swimming in this lake as many mornings during the week as she could manage, often joined by several friends.  They would do this year round, in the summer they would swim in the winter it was a 'dip' in and out, but whatever the season they would fully immerse themselves.  I have heard that this is really good for you and my friend has often told me of all the wonderful benefits of cold water immersion.  Sadly I don't live near enough to any lakes to make it viable for me to do that but always one to think outside the box I figured I could have a daily cold shower instead.  It seems I am so last year the Independent were writing about the benefits of a cold shower over 20 years ago!  I started doing this late last year and managed to keep going through the depths of winter, it is as invigorating as anyone who writes about it makes out it is.  I dare you to give it a go!

On a day when I have had a really good sleep and managed to stay focused it might be around 8am by now, but most days it is nearer nine, but whatever the time it is breakfast on mind next.  I expect this meal is rather different to what you might eat.  The only cereal we have in the house is oats, I honestly cannot remember when I last ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast.  The menu depends on the day of the week it might be oatmeal pancakes, or fermented pancakes with sautéed spinach and onion, boiled egg with salad and rainbow flat breads or occasionally millet and quinoa porridge.  Once this meal is over and cleared away my mind starts to focus on the rest of the day.


I used to have days when I would need to be out of the house at 9am with food and drink to last us the day and clothing for a messy art class followed by forest school with a 45 minute drive in between.  Admittedly that was our busiest day and I was used to it then as we would be out the house at something everyday.  We get used to things when they are normal and what we do each and every week don't we.  

It seems such a long time ago, but I can still remember that week when slowly, like the receding tide, the things that defined and shaped our week were cancelled, leaving our diary a blank and empty page for the first time since we made that huge step to start home educating.  We found ourselves at home all the time, along with rest of our country, confined to its walls by our need to come together to protect the vulnerable and prevent the health service becoming overwhelmed.  

We found ways to make that normal.  Slowly building ourselves a rhythm that included some of the things that we had always done at home and adding in those things that we had done in classes and groups but we wanted to continue.  We had mornings of focusing on nature journalling, creating, French, projects and exercise depending on the day of the week.  The afternoons were about a daily walk and video calls to catch up with friends who we could no longer see face to face.  There was lots of sewing, the garden had never had so much attention and my recipe books were dusted off, old favourites were rediscovered and new ones tried out.  

We were doing ok.  

No actually I was doing more than ok, I loved being in lockdown.  I loved the peace and quiet it bought to my head. I no longer needed to be thinking ahead, what are we doing today, tomorrow, next week.  I could live in the present.  


When life was busy, many of the things that really needed my thoughts, I had quietly shelved, now I could take them down and give them focus, find acceptance with some of the most difficult ones.  At times it felt like I was opening a flood gate, that I was drowning in words and thoughts that I couldn't get into order, but reaching out to a few dear friends has deepen already solid connections and helped me to make sense of things.  I am still a work in progress as we all are, but I feel a peace that I haven't felt for years.  

And then my husband got that call, the one that we all knew would come one day, furlough pay was not going to last forever, he had to go back to work.

It was another tide going out, inevitable and not in our control.  We had to find another normal.  As the main facilitator of the children's education much stayed the same but being the only adult at home full time with the children was not something I had done for years, not since Alice was a baby.  The little time I had in pockets during the day seem to evaporate.  I began to wonder if those few hours that I had each afternoon had gone back to work with my husband, it always seem to be time to make a meal.  I was exhausted all the time.  I pared back everything I did to spending most afternoons resting as I worked out how I could fit in the things I needed to do along with those that I wanted to.

In the background was the news.  Things were changing, we were 'allowed' to do more.  Meeting up with friends became a possibility, I knew that Alice was desperate to do this and arranged for it to happen for her first.  It felt surreal, driving in the car (Alice's second trip out the village in months), walking in a familiar place with friends but doing that weird dance to ensure that you maintain space between each other and those we met whilst out walking.  I came home exhausted and wishing it would go back to lockdown when everything was calmer, easier and clear cut.

But life continues to be one of change and we found ourselves being able to do more of the usual things, most shops were able to open, the roads got busier as people moved around more.  The tourists returned to where I live, I encountered queues when driving for the first time in four months.  It was all rather unnerving. the world had sped up and I wasn't able to keep up with it and didn't want to.  

We have met with friends my own, Alice's, Cameron has spent an afternoon walking with one of his.  He has plans to go mountain biking with a different friend next week.  I am torn.  There is a part of me that wants the living in the present to continue, to not have to think about arrangements for the coming week.  I need the headspace before meeting people so I prefer not to arrange things at the last minute, I am exhausted afterwards so still need to make sure that I don't arrange too much in a week, just now.  These complications fill my head, as do the thoughts of making arrangements.  But I am loving spending time with friends.  It is another normal that I am yet to get used to, it is a work in progress as each change has been.

So each morning as I rise, I am comforted by those hours that are the same every day.  I am holding onto those for as long as I can, they are the important ingredients in my life right now.  What are yours?

20 comments:

  1. These are scary times. Here in Western Pennsylvania we have been "green" for enough time for the cases to kick back up. Today our governor put in some more restrictions on things we can do. I am happiest at home where I know how clean it is. I do worry about Steve going to work every day...but I trust he does all the right things (distance, masking, hand washing...)

    The TOMM method sounds interesting! I have been "cramming" everything over a couple of days, but boy I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an uncertain time isn't it, especially when you go and about and observe people doing things that they have been instructed or advised not to. We are all in this together.

      I hope you find the TOMM method to be better than cramming everything into less time.

      Delete
  2. I completely get what you are saying, lockdown was fine for me too, apart from missing my granddaughter. As each change has come about I struggle to keep up, in fact I have no clue what's permissible or not these days.
    I love the idea of an invigorating cold shower but I'm too much of a wimp. I love your morning routine, I just feed and clean up after the animals then rush to the kettle. Your breakfasts sound lovely. Another lovely, thoughtful post.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad to hear that there have been others who have enjoyed lockdown. It felt insensitive to say anything when we were in it as so many people seemed to be struggling. I am also glad to hear that it is not just me that can't keep up, the pace of change feels so fast, doesn't it after our slow life in lockdown.

      Delete
  3. I don't think there's going to be a 'normal' for a long time, things are changing all the time, I just can't keep up with what we're allowed and what we're not, but I doubt life will be the same as it was prior to this pandemic for a very long time. I have a similar routine to you on a morning (minus the cold shower, brrrr). I'm a morning person so I like to get up and get straight on. I figure that once my jobs are out of the way I can have some time to myself to do the things I want to do. Mick on the other hand is a night owl, though he is better on a morning now than he used to be. As for lockdown, nothing much changed for us as Mick worked right the way though, albeit from home, but then again he often worked from home anyway so not much change there, and Eleanor has worked right through too, so my personal situation hasn't changed much. It's more the outside restrictions which changed for us, freedom of movement. I think we are creatures of habit though and we do tend to cling on to what we regard as normal. Only time will tell where we go from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right that we are creatures of habit Jo, our habits have had to change dramatically and now we can't get them in order again. The pace of change is hard to keep up with isn't it, I do am struggling to keep up with it all. And yes I think that it is going to be awhile before we are back to any semblance of what normal was for us before this pandemic.

      Delete
  4. So much I can relate to in all of this...even though we didn't have a 'busy' life before lockdown, there were still places that we had to go and things we had to do....I hadn't realized until you mentioned it about how much brain-space that takes up -- the planning and organizing and getting everyone out the door with everything that they need.

    Because it's so stupidly hot just now, my early mornings are spent in the garden..then it's tea and reading (hopefully!) before anyone else gets up. I find I want to make the absolute most of my uninterrupted time :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel, it wasn't until I started to plan things out and about that I realised how much headspace that took and how out of practice I was. I had got to the stage where I thought I was doing it without thinking which I probably was to some extent but it still took up space in my brain.

      I raise a cup of tea to uninterrupted time!

      Delete
  5. It is such an interesting time, isn't it? It's almost as if we get to reinvent our life. I think I am valuing the slow and the calm too much to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love to reinvent my life, I have been longing to do that for years. I felt like I was starting to in lockdown which is why I think I am not loving everything reopening as I can feel it slipping away.

      Delete
  6. I must admit to 'enjoying' lockdown too and the social distancing (I would be quite happy if that continued). I have been going into the local town for shopping and am used to queueing, so it hasn't been that much of a shock. I don't like people coming close to me though and am finding I am doing a kind of chicane around them.
    Your morning routine sounds very calming - hang on to those times as much as you can. I do yogalates each week, but not really enough, if I am being honest. Still, it will all help.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of yogalates, I had to look it up, it sounds intriguing. Every little bit helps I am sure.

      What is it with people coming close to you, I don't like that either. It is like people are not even aware of others around them when we need to be all the time at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Lockdown has been fine for me, too...as a homebody anyway, there was very little that changed. I'm lucky enough though to be retired. But even in a happy lockdown, rhythm to the day is important, and yours sounds like a very peaceful way to proceed through your days. Stay safe!!! For us...here in the states...we have too many people who are all about themselves and can't seem to comply with science so we'll be in a lockdown for a very long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph, it is so heartening to hear that there are other people out there who have found lockdown to be an easy time. I guess we were the quiet voices during the time not wanting to project over the louder ones who were finding it difficult.

      It is so worrying isn't it when people do not seem to be following the advice, we are all in this together, but it doesn't feel like that when people behave otherwise. I hope you are able to stay safe too.

      Delete
  8. It's difficult isn't it, taking these first tentative steps into our new way of living. In some ways it was easier when we were in complete lockdown, we knew exactly what was expected of us.
    Your morning routine must feel calming and grounding in these uncertain times. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I journal first thing in the morning and then prayers. After a shower and breakfast I do all the chores before lunch time so the afternoon is my very own to do as I wish. I didn't mind the lockdown, I missed my kids that was it. I really do not miss anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your recipe! When I'm not in pain and reaching for the painkillers and a coffee, I try to rise before the kids and spend some time in prayer and reflection. For once in my life I have been pretty consistent with journaling and have been using Ignatian Spirituality Exercises as a means of focus for my day. We have been doing Team Tomm for over a year (provided I am well enough to keep up with the tasks) and the kids are pretty good at also pitching in. Knowing that Wednesday is hall and stairs day gives me the reminder that we're halfway through the week, hooray! Although having said this, I've spent the entire week waking up and wondering "Where am i? and What day is it?!!" I have definitely felt discombobulated this week and I'm craving the blue skies and sunshine that are lurking on the horizon :-) We are still remaining at home but have tentatively arranged to visit a friend in her garden on Monday. Life is certainly very strange and I really do miss attending church, the online services although very good are just not the same. Sending love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you find your 'time' again I know it has thrown a lot of routines up in the air, I have found lockdown to be very similar anyway as I don't go far from home. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Siobhan - such a weird time. I too loved lockdown, although it wasn't too different from the norm for us. J missed school and his friends there, but he was in contact with them online. I hadn't heard about Tomm, but I do find that lists work for me, so first thing I do over coffee is write my list for the day. Hope you are all well xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this post. Your breakfast sounds not dissimilar to mine as I eat millet, buckwheat, quinoa or amaranth porridge every day with fruit and nuts. Can't imagine eating packaged cereal now! The ingredients I'm holding on to in my life right now: the allotment, reading to the children at night, playing music every day, yoga to start my morning.

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)