How does your garden grow?

26 July 2020

A month on from my last garden tour and things have changed somewhat.  The last six weeks have been a real mix of weather but mostly the temperatures have been cool (low teens centigrade, mid fifties fahrenheit) with lots of rain.  The rain is great but the low temperatures has meant that those plants in the garden that like it to be a bit warmer have been growing rather slowly.  The polytunnel is largely unaffected by the lower temperatures during the day although a lack of sunshine means it is cooler in there at night.


The nasturtiums which were hiding behind the now finished lupins, are doing well and providing lots of flowers for our salads.  In a previous year we have sown pansies or maybe they are violets in this bed and they have self seeded or come back - I am not a very good flower gardener, can you tell!  Anyway what ever they are they are also being added to salads.  The honeysuckle is also in flower and provides a heady scent whenever you walk past.


The herb bed has exploded there is absolutely no space in here at all which is what I have been trying to achieve for years.  There are chives, marjoram, salad burnet, yarrow, purple sage and comfrey in here, many of these are now flowering which the bees are loving.  The yarrow was planted in here and is not a weed as far as I am concerned.  I am cultivating it to make salves, yarrow salve is a native alternative to arnica cream and can be used for all the same things, it is even better though as it can be used on broken skin.  The leaves in the pot on the right hand side are my horseradish plants which have been potted up to this large pot in the hope it will encourage some bigger roots, they have been a bit thin and pathetic in the last couple of years.  This bed is also full of wild strawberry plants which are growing in every available space but as they are low they are not visible in this photo except above the chives where they are growing along a wall which you can't even see that separates the herb bed from the one above.


In the bed above the herbs are my sunflowers and until earlier this week 25 french bean plants that were in flower and about to set fruit.  Something, possibly a rabbit, has come in and eaten the lot, I am left with the stalks and not a shred of greenery.  This was my best crop of bean plants to date, so I am rather devastated by this massacre.  We have no idea where the rabbits are getting in to the garden as it is completely rabbit proofed, if indeed it is a rabbit, they haven't eaten anything else, yet.  The wire is now 18 years old and is rusty in places, we have checked the entire fence for holes but we may have missed the one that they are using!  I am hoping that they don't come back and start on my other plants any time soon.

In the cage behind the blackcurrants are now ready for picking, that is this weekends job, and the white currants are nearly there.  They are usually a few weeks behind.


The broad beans are doing well, we have had a few meals from them so far along with the Jerusalem artichokes which are not ready yet.  In between are some onions that I grew from seed which are not going  growing that well.  This was a bit of an experiment as I have never tried growing onion from seed, I think I will stick to onion sets in the future, I don't think my growing season is long enough to grow from seed.  To the left of the broad beans are purple sprouting broccoli plants, protected to stop butterflies laying their eggs on the leaves which they then decimate.  The rhubarb is also continuously producing, I gave a friend a few pounds at the beginning of the week but you wouldn't know, there is still several pounds worth of stalks on there.  I am going to start freezing it now, as we can't keep up with it.


Inside the polytunnel it is a bit of jungle and not terribly tidy!  The courgettes at the back are providing us with a steady supply, we haven't reached glut stage yet, if the temperatures stay low then that is unlikely.  My tomato plants have yet to flower, I think this may be a no tomato year, I don't think it is warm enough even in here for them.  The cucumbers and gherkins are growing well, we have harvested a few cucumbers now and there are many more on their way.  The salad bed continues to provide a daily salad for us all, some of the plants have flowers, hence the mass of yellow flowers, I don't usually pull them up until all their leaves have been eaten.  There are also three squash plants which have all fruited and I hope that they give us a few fruits by the end of the season.


My herbs are fantastic this year, I sow them every year and then they get neglected as I run out of time to deal with them.  This year, with being at home most of the time I have been able to provide them the attention that they need.  I am going start drying the holy basil so that I can use it for herbal teas over the winter.  I have also sown some more lettuce and salad leaves to give us a continuous supply for the months ahead.


The garlic is almost ready to harvest, I am hoping that we have lots of good healthy bulbs under the ground.  It is always a bit of a lottery growing garlic as you never know what is going on under there!  It is however something that is pretty reliable for me, and the recent rain will have helped those bulbs to swell.


Next to the garlic are some cabbage plants, again under fleece like the broccoli.  I have found this works until it is too cold for the butterflies and then I take it off to give the plants a bit more room.  You can also see our wee apple tree in this picture, we grafted this ourselves at the beginning of last year when it was about 6 inches high.  It has grown well and we are going to train it to grow along the wires on the wall to be an espalier.

So that is my garden, I share the progress again next month and hope that the rabbit doesn't return and I have something to show you!

26 comments:

  1. It all looks very lush. Pity about the rabbits -I hate it when vermin get my plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was cross about the rabbit/s but we have repaired the fence now and they don't seem to have been back!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, what a shame about your bean plants. Gardening is always so hit and miss, mainly because of different kinds of pests, but it's so annoying when you've tried your best to make it rabbit proof, they still often find a way in though. It's a good job that where's there's the failures there's the successes too otherwise I think we'd all just call it a day. The good usually outweighs the bad and makes growing your own a good option. You're herb bed is looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, there have been plenty of successes. I am just glad it was a cool day and the polytunnel door was shut, they could have had a feast in there!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely productive garden you have and I am sure it is alive with the sound of birds, bees and other insects. It is disheartening when a promising crop gets eaten by something, but as gardeners say, there is always next year!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always next year, and now I know what I need to do to produce a good healthy set of bean plants which has alluded me so far.

      Delete
  4. So much going on in your garden!! Terribly sorry about the marauding rabbit, though...that's so upsetting. Squirrels are the bane of my existence, not because they eat anything, but they're terrible for digging little holes and unearthing the plants. I lost one of my baby blueberry bushes that way and another is looking a bit feeble.

    I learned the butterfly lesson the hard way this year...I never had an issue with it in our old house, perhaps because my kale never came to much!....but I'm going to have to sort out some netting for next year as all of my kale got munched on, as did my swiss chard. A friend told me that the cabbage moths are very territorial so that if you place little white cardboard cut-outs around the garden, the real ones won't linger. Not sure if it will work but it will be a fun winter project nonetheless!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a pest isn't there. I do hope your blueberry plants survives its uprooting. I had to smile at the idea of cardboard cut outs, they would last 2 minutes here with the all the rain we get, they would be a soggy mess!

      Delete
  5. What a shame about the French beans, especially as they had looked so promising. It's all looking great, I only wish my garden could be as hardworking as yours. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of hard work to get it looking like this, but always worth it in the end.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous garden! I have lots of yarrow as well and I love it! We had rabbits decimate our bean plants a couple of years ago and we installed some rabbit-proof fencing, but boy... they still try to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is interesting, rabbits obviously like bean plants which would explain why they only ate the bean plants and left everything else! I am sorry that you too have rabbits trying to get to your plants.

      Delete
  7. Well done on all the herb growing and making use of them. Looks like you have lots to keep you going despite the lack of tomatoes. Our have just begun to ripen. Courgettes have got to the glut stage here and if I don’t pick them soon enough they grow enormous. Just found a courgette pasta by nigella. It’s delicious. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes have finally flowered but I think it may be too late for much of a crop this year.

      Delete
  8. what a beautiful garden, it's like a fairytale garden. Our's is small but mighty. It is so hot and humid here that the sun bakes most of the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always lovely seeing a growing garden.What an interesting range of herbs you grow. I've never grown horseradish, I must give that a go.What a shame about your pigeons, could it have been wood-pigeons, if it is rabbits I do hope you find the hole. The tomatoes are slow here too, I think it's the cool summer we are having. Your garlic looks great, hopefully you'll have good bulbs.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see a growing garden too. We have repaired the whole fence now, it was a big job but it is done and the rabbits have not returned. I too hope my garlic has good bulbs it is so hard to know what is going on underground isn't it!

      Delete
  10. It looks very productive your garden,I just love nasturtiums but have never actually eaten them. My nemesis is large brown slugs that decimated my beans, not sure how to control, not using slug pellets of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasturtiums are so tasty, they are peppery and lovely in salads. The only way I have found to control slugs when my plants are small is to go out every night and pick them off and kill them, I do that for about two to three weeks, several hundred a night!

      Delete
  11. Your garden looks fantastic! I hope you have a big freezer to keep the surplus for winter. I remember top and tailing green beans for hours when I was little, then blanching and freezing... so many beans. I am not a big fan now. We harvested our first carrots today, they were so so tasty. Our garden is small but we grow a few things we like. Turnips are doing well, not my favourite but they make a good gratin. My cucumbers are only just flowering, they grow in our front porch, which doubles as a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually have much surplus despite the amount that I have growing. We eat so much veg here!

      Delete
  12. That's a shame about the pesky rabbit, could be Peter rabbit and chums. Apart from that , your garden is looking great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love this garden....a real gardener's garden! I dabble a bit here and a bit there....and only get glutted with cucumbers and tomatoes and squash. To have rhubarb!!! and all the other goodies. Swoon. And your nasturtiums....in past years, mine just barely bloom before they are burned to a crisp!!! All my herbs are in pots...so I'm so limited there, too. I really shouldn't complain too much, because what I have keeps me very busy!!! I just love the variety you have. Good luck with the bunny issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Rhubarb loves cooler climates so it does really well here. I think we alway covet what others can grow don't we? I would love to be able to grow lemons or passion fruit but it is too cold here.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)