A Daily Walk

29 March 2020

One of the two reasons I leave my house these days is to go for a walk.  I am so fortunate to live in a beautiful place that is sparsely populated and I can go for a walk and rarely meet anyone, there is plenty of space on the occasions that I do, to keep our distance.

One of the many things I love about blogging is seeing photos of bloggers' local environment, especially when it is a very different to the one where I live.  I do hope this is something that you enjoy too as today I am going to take you on one of the walks that I have been enjoying this week.

I try and get out of a walk everyday on week days, not a long one but just to get some fresh air at the beginning of the day.  The terrible weather over the last few months has meant that this has not happened very often, so I am glad of the time to fit this into my days just now, especially as the weather has been so wonderful recently.

So grab yourself a cuppa, find a comfy place to sit, I am going to take you for a virtual walk.  Many of these photos are taken looking back at places I had just passed as I walking into the sun for some of the time.

As I put on my shoes and any layers that I need to keep warm, the view from my porch is the one I have shared a few times recently on my Peek into my Day posts.


I live on a main road, luckily for us it is a a quiet road, as main roads go.  At the moment the verges near our house are full of daffodils in flower.  These verges are maintain by the parish council, we pay through our council tax for the maintenance of areas such as these.  I love that they are a beautiful cheery sight at this time of year.


You can just make out a road maintenance vehicle in a lay-by.  They have been resurfacing large sections of the road through our village this past month.  It feels like it has been going on for ever.  It was work that badly needed doing.  It is adding five minutes to my journey to do the shopping as they have a convoy system to let you though the works, it is a good job I don't need to be anywhere by a certain time these days!


In and amongst these daffodils there is a fence around a well.  This would have been the water supply for my end of the village in the days before piped water.  It comes to the surface as a spring in the garden of a house to the right, it runs all year round.  It is piped under the road, and must continue underground, it is only visible in very wet weather as it creates a stream on the surface.

As I continue along the road I pass a cherry tree which is just starting to come into blossom.  It was lovely to see bees collecting the nectar.  Sights like these are wonderful after the grey and gloom of the winter we have just had.


A couple of crocus flowers sit nestled amongst the daffodils, opened wide to the sun that was shining in full glory.


Front gardens that I pass are also starting to bloom, a flowering currant.  I read this week that this plant has a strong smell rather like cat pee.  I don't have a great sense of smell and couldn't get close enough to test this out, perhaps that was for the best!


My walk along the main road comes to an end now as I turn left down a lane which heads towards more houses and fields.  It passes a big industrial unit that used to be a sausage factory and is now a warehouse for a company that makes noticeboards, whiteboards and exhibitions stands amongst other things.  It is good to see this site back in use as it stood empty for several years after the sausage factory closed and was looking a little dilapidated.  I am soon off the lane through a snick in the wall and into the fields.


Nearly all the edges of the fields that surround my village are built with stone, dry stone walls, the incredible art of balancing stones in layers to make beautiful and useful walls.  They do get knocked over occasionally and most are repaired by building the wall back up again using the same materials. The stones are all local and most will have come from the fields themselves cleared to the edges so that the land could be farmed.  This stone is limestone, but you will also find the odd bit of granite too, something that my village is famed for.


Across the second field I come to a different method of moving from one field to the next.  This is a kissing gate, a slightly different method to allow people and stop livestock moving from one field to another.  The gate on the right swings open to allow you to pass into the section on the left, you walk round the gate and swing it closed, it kisses each side of the enclosure as it swings open and shut, hence the name.  It is also fun to kiss over the gate after the first person has passed through!


From the kissing gate (which is just out of view in the bottom right) I head up hill, from the top of which I can look back and see where I have come from.  In the distance you can make out a lorry driving along the motorway that runs along the flank of the hill.


At the top of the hill is a house, commanding a position with great uninterrupted views to the front and back.  It is lived in by the people that Cameron works for.  I pass to the left of the house and through the gate.


Once I am though the gate I am in a network of walled paths, which are likely to be very old.  There are many of these tracks around my village, they are well worn and in places are much lower than the fields that flank them.  It is likely that this particular track led to and from an Abbey, the ruins of which can still be seen today.  I often wonder, when I walk these tracks, who has been there before me, what they might have been doing and where they were going.


The walled track meanders its way gently up, snake like across the land.  I am not going this way today, my route takes me left....


...into another walled track.  On one walk this week there were two butterflies doing a fluttering dance together in the sunshine landing on the sun warmed stone in the wall, they were not around when I had the camera with me. I meander down hill towards a farm....


...and fields of sheep with lambs.   There is a cacophony of noise, the lambs calling to their mothers.  I stand and watch the lambs gambolling around.  I love how they run and spontaneously jump, their gay abandon is heart warming and a lovely antidote to the worry that runs through our lives right now.  I watch for a while, their nervousness abating as I remain still.

As I leave the lambs to their gay abandon, I continue downhill where the track becomes very soggy and waterlogged.  The large stones in the photos above surround a spring, the field to the other side of the track has a similar spring both of which release their water onto the track.  Wellies are a must to negotiate this section.



I now leave the track, which continues to the farm, and head left into a field, empty today but on past days has been full of sheep with their lambs.  I am walking up hill once again, from the top I have a views to the left of the industrial side of my village a working lime kiln producing quicklime and lime products using locally quarried limestone, and to the right one of open countryside.  There is a house just out of view to the left in this picture, it is at the end of the lane past the warehouse building.  Access to this property is over a ford in the river on the left, an interesting prospect in the months of rain we have every winter!


From this high point I now head down hill towards a bridge over a stream.  To the right of this bridge is an area of flat land where there was once a mill.  Once upon a time there were four mills in my village, it is most likely they all belonged to the Abbey.  There is little to be seen of this one, or indeed any of them, except a few piles of stones and a large patch of nettles both indicators of sites of previous human habitation.


As I cross the bridge,  I love how to the left the stream falls in gentle steps created by large slabs of limestone. Sadly the sun had dropped at little by now and left the stream in the shade by this point so it is not the greatest photo.  I love to linger on this bridge and watch the stream flowing gently down, slowing flowing out to sea on its long and meandering journey.  This stream is part of an unusual watershed, one that flows North to reach the sea, most large rivers in England flow South.


Having crossed the bridge I head up a short slope where you can clearly see the line of an old wall or hedge, this was probably the boundary to one of the tracks leading to the mill.  The other side of the wall running across the top of the photo is the lane we have been on before, the one from the ford to the warehouse.  I am heading up to there to meet the lane.
The lane takes me up hill, where I can see to the left the route I took past the house and into the old walled tracks.  I pass a building which was built as a workhouse in the 1870s to house the poor, it could accommodate 60 people, it was later used as a boys' home and has now been converted into houses.  I walk round the building, over a stream and back to the warehousing which is just off to the left of the photo on the bottom left.


It is the home straight now as I return once again to the main road.  I notice the mail train going by, the red line running left to right in the middle of the photo.  I know it is 5.45pm without looking at my watch, it is never late!  This train is traveling South to London, we never see the train returning, I guess it must do the return journey at night.


I once again pass all the daffodils above which are tall trees full of rooks, loudly going about their nest building. The pavement will soon become splattered with bird poop, it is best to run this section!  I return home nourished by the fresh air, the exercise and the beauty of nature.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed the walk.  I will back on Thursday with my words on sustainable living. 

42 comments:

  1. What a lovely walk. I think many people will be seeing more of their local neighbourhood than they usually do at the moment. I love to see the lambs in the fields at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I walked many of the paths around my house with the children when they were little, we have been going further afield as their legs have got longer and they wanted higher hills. It is lovely to revisit these paths again and the memories that are weaved into them for me.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your Birthday Wishes to me.

    And even more so, for your precious words of; "You are right you have witnessed and lived through a lot, so we need to listen your wise words telling us it will be ok again at some point."

    This touches my heart...

    Gentle hugs
    🌺🌸🌼🌹🌻🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome WoW. I think we need to listen to the voices of our elders. They/you have the experience and knowledge that can help us all. I am really saddened that your voices have been silenced and ignored for so long.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh the gorgeous flowering around where you live. How cheerful...!!!!

    We have a dry stone laid boundrys across from us, and on around... Built by a young person, for the local college. Lovely... And daffodils are in front of them, in spring...

    Love your kissing gates and styles. -smile-

    Ahhhhh, were these Holy Springs at one time??????

    -happy sigh- How delightful...!!!!!! And how lucky for you, that you are young enough, to do this whole "meander"!!!!!!!

    Gentle hugs
    🌺🌸🌼🌹🌻🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that you can see dry stone walls from your house, they are a work of art as well as being useful.

      I am not sure if they were a holy spring at one time, I shall have to go and have a look at the inscription on the front again as I cannot remember what it says.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for letting us share your walk. You live in a lovely part of the country.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ellie, I do live in a lovely place and it is times likes this that makes me treasure that all the more.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful. I walk daily and take photos of my route too. With the present restrictions, the ability to be able to get out and walk has made me even more grateful that I am able to do so. If I was stuck indoors like so many folk are - I would just melt inwardly. Thank you for sharing your walk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I too am grateful that I can get out and enjoy the countryside around my village, we are the lucky ones at the moment. I would love to see the photos of one of your walks.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely walk. I really enjoyed that. I try to have a walk every day anyway before the lockdown but going a bit further afield now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome! I am glad that you enjoyed my walk and that you too are managing to get out and walk regularly too.

      Delete
  7. Lovely walk, thank you. It looks like somewhere nice to walk, plenty of interesting sights and some beautiful dry walls, too. I took my camera on a walk yesterday but was chatting to me son and forgot to take photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. It sounds like chatting to your son was more important than taking photos on your recent walk!

      Delete
  8. I did enjoy walking with you, thank you. You must feel blessed to have such beautiful countryside on your doorstep. Stubbornly, I didn't venture out today, my heart wasn't in it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, I do indeed feel blessed to have such beautiful countryside on my doorstep. I am sorry to hear that your heart was not in the right place for a walk yesterday, but you were wise to stay at home.

      Delete
  9. Really enjoyed walking with you - you live in a lovely place. Isn't it special to take a tourist's eye view of your own place. The flowering currant by the way, smells lovely outside but when you bring it inside it smells like cat 's pee - such a shame cos it's a gorgeous plant :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fil, glad you enjoyed the walk. Thank you also for the info on the flowering currant, I am learning something new each day about this plant. You are right it is a gorgeous plant especially at this time of year when there is so little other colour.

      Delete
  10. What an interesting, beautiful walk! I completely enjoyed it. I had just posted about my walk yesterday when I read this, so there we were, thousands of miles apart, trekking about. There is something very satisfying in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I love that you also posted about your walk, I shall head over and read about that later. There is something satisfying about knowing that you were also out walking thousands of miles away. Such a lovely thought.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for that lovely walk through countryside so completely different to Suffolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I have spent a little time in Suffolk and yes it is very different up here, I am glad that you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely walk, some of which looks a little familiar 🙂. I love the deep paths between walls, if only we knew more about some of the feet which have trod that ground over the centuries - little people, ordinary folk, the ones that history does not count. They are the ones with tales to tell if only we could hear them.
    Thank you for sharing, I shall try and do the same one day on a similar walk around here. What sort of distance do you think you cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might look familiar to you! If those walls could talk wouldn't that be wonderful, the history that will never be told, of the ordinary folk going about their lives.

      I would love to see photos of a walk around your part of the county that would be lovely. My walk is about 3km according to my map measuring wheel.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful place you have to walk. Thank you for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you -such a lovely walk, and so different from where I live. Do you know what those sheep are called? The ones with the face markings? We don't have them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am no surprised it is different, our climate is very different yours. The sheep are called Mules, I think, they are cross between a Swaledale - a local breed and a Blue Face Leicester a breed from further south they produce a hardy sheep who are good at looking after their young.

      Delete
  15. I am deeply honoured by your lovely comment, I am so glad that my words enabled you to enjoy the walk too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! This was just marvelous, thank you!! So very different from where we are....I'm mostly enraptured by the incredible history of the landscape and the buildings..Canada is such a young country by comparison.

    Gorgeous daffodils, too....they're so cheerful xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed my post. I love the history in any landscape, I have spent quite a bit of time in the past year finding out about the history of this area, it has been a really interesting journey.

      Delete
  17. A lovely walk and I definitely recognise the area. My Mum lives not far from you in Askham but probably already mentioned that. Thanks for taking us on your amble. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will recognise things if you are visiting Askham. I used to live there, it is a lovely little village.

      Delete
  18. you live in a beautiful area!! We are walking daily weather permitting and it's good to get the wiggles out. I need it more than ever and it makes me feel good. I also ate a healthy lunch and that has improved my attitude. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. It is good to get out isn't it. I have been walking whatever the weather although it does feel quite made to be going out when it is pouring with rain!

      Delete
  19. Such beautiful countryside with nature and history just outside your door. The walled paths are fascinating and I'd never heard of a kissing gate before. It looks and sounds like such a lovely
    little place to live. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg, it is a lovely place to live. I thought some folks would not have heard of kissing gates!

      Delete
  20. What a lovely walk. We miss the footpath type walks round here - there are a few footpaths, but several include a Bog Interlude - so we mainly have to stick to the lanes. That looks like a lovely walk and you can get right away from things out there. I loved your historical bits - these landscapes have evolved down the centuries and there is such a depth of history tied up in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes wet bits are a bit of a bother aren't they. The road are so quiet at the moment that is not quite so bad walking on them here, I hope that is the case with you too. I love looking at the history of the landscape its fascinating isn't it?

      Delete
  21. What a wonderful walk. I did enjoy it and finding out more about your neighbourhood. Marvelous idea, it would be fun if other bloggers did this.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you certainly do live in a stunning part of the country. I hope you are still enjoying your walks in this beautiful weather X

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's fun to see pictures of where others live as well. You certainly have a lot of beauty to look at on your walk!

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)