Slowly does it

17 December 2019


We woke, on Sunday, to a dusting of snow, nature's icing sugar.  We had a slow start to the day, pottering about followed by a late cooked breakfast.  A walk was suggested, I had a list as long as my arm of things that I needed to do, mostly jobs that had been put to one side whilst I had been ill last month.  Not those urgent needs your attention directly type, the should be doing but never get round to as there is always something else that needs my time sort of job.  Do you ever find yourself wishing that you had more time for that type of thing or perhaps it is just me not being very good at managing my time.  I have got out of the habit of writing things down that I need to do, another victim of being ill I fear,  if I don't write things down they don't seem to get done. I have started this week with a list, back to habits that I know work.

I found myself saying yes to a walk.  We journeyed uphill from the house into thicker snow.  We had a rough idea in our minds of where we were going but it became one of those walks where we changed our minds regularly, each of us wanting to share something interesting we had seen before.  I only took the one picture, the view from part way up the hill looking back down to my village and across to the hills that I can see from my house.  I was so focused on the walk, the beautiful scenery and the sun on my face that the camera stayed put round my neck, building memories rather than focusing behind a lens.

After the week I have had time outside, it turns out, was just what I needed.  There is nothing like a walk outside for restoring one, you cannot help but feel happy.  It doesn't make your worries and niggles go away, just makes them easier to deal with.  It also meant that I spent the afternoon doing all those jobs that have been hanging around for weeks, including packaging several items that needed posting.  They have now all been sent off along with all the Christmas cards.  On Monday I walked down to the post office with Alice, posting the cards for our friends in the village on the way, on our return I got a call from a friend inviting us to their leaving the area do, some mutual friends from Scotland are going to be there, one of those parcels was for them, bits that have been waiting to be sent since the end of October.  Ah well, can't get it right every time can you and there is nothing like getting a parcel through the post is there?

It is looking like this is going to be a quiet week this week with lots of time at home.  There are a few things going on that we could go to but we have all decided to stay at home instead.  We are all feeling the need for some nesting, some quiet time at home.  It seems, without trying, we are going to have the quiet Christmas at home that I hoped we would.  It is great when that happens, it feels natural, like it is meant to be.  I have bought, and nearly finished making, all the presents we are going to gift, there will be one more parcel to send.  Now I can turn my thoughts to food, what we might eat during the week of Christmas when we are all together as a family. 

I have started to read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens this week, this is the first time I have read this to Cameron and Alice, they are old enough for it now.  It is our after dinner (lunch to most people) story, a chapter each day.  I am enjoying reading it too, it has been a while since I read it.  I hope like, The Glass Angels by Susan Hill, this becomes a favourite to share at this time of year. 

I wonder do you have any favourite stories or books that you like to read at this time of year?

30 comments:

  1. We have some Aussie stories which are wonderful, because they describe a hot Christmas! The Littlest Angel is one of these, and recently we recorded DH and I telling the story for our grandchildren who live far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that didn't even occur to me. It must be hard to find stories which are relevant to a hot Christmas as there are so many that talk about the cold weather. Glad you have been able to find some.

      Delete
  2. I do love the Grinch...he makes me giggle. I have really been enjoying being home, too. Cooking delicious meals is so satisfying. Congratulations on being so organized. It sounds like you will have a peaceful and happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Grinch but I love Dr Seuss so I am sure I would, I shall have to check that out. I am glad there is someone else out there who loves to be quiet at home at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Last year I bought the Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater and I will continue to read more of this - I have already read the Miss Read Christmas books and a book I had from the library with a compilation of Christmas excerpts - A Christmas Carol was one of them. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Miss Read, I love her books as a teenager I have a little collection but not the Christmas ones, I have just been online and ordered one, I am looking forward to reading that to the children next year. thank you for the suggestion. I have not read any Nigel Slater I will see if they have that in the library next time I visit.

      Delete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about jobs that don't get done as other things get in the way. I think that time is a very strange thing and I just don't seem to have as much of it now as I did when I worked full time, had a child to care for, allotments to cope with and all the household chores to do!! Like you though I find a walk out of doors in pleasant surroundings works wonders and I always feel better for it and able to get on with something from my To Do list. Have a lovely quiet Christmas at home and recharge your batteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what my Mum says. I sometimes wonder what I where the time goes when I look at my watch and realise it is time to start cooking tea....

      Hope you have a lovely Christmas too.

      Delete
  5. I had thought about reading A Christmas Carol this year but I was well into another book, non Christmassy, so I haven't bothered. It's a book I'd like to read at some point though. Getting out for a walk can be really restorative, just what some of us need at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need restoring at this time of year don't we. I am glad to hear that you have found a book that you are enjoying. I am sure A Christmas Carol can wait another year, I get confused when I put down a book part way through and read something else.

      Delete
  6. I always read A Christmas Carol, The Children of Green Knowe (LM Boston), Wind in the Willows, Sister of the Angels (Elizabeth Goudge) and Little Women at this time of the year. I should qualify that with parts of Wind in the Willows and Little Women, as it is really only the particularly Christmassy bits that I read now. I enjoy revisiting some of my childhood favourites.
    A quiet Christmas is something to be enjoyed and treasured.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh some lovely suggestions. I read the Children of Green Knowe to Alice earlier this year I forgotten that it was set at Christmas time. I haven't hear of Sister of the Angels I will look that one up.

      A quiet Christmas is something to be enjoyed and treasured that is certainly what I will be doing this year.

      Delete
    2. "The Children of Green Knowe" sounds delightful! I found it in my library system. Thank you so much, for the reading suggestion!!!!!

      🎄🌲🎄🌲🎄

      Delete
  7. Delightful to be reading a chapter a day, to your children! Reading aloud is not only fun, but good for all... I have read. And it's just plain lovely.

    So happy you went for a walk. And are going to have a quiet Christmas. Perfect...

    And all those things on lists... Do they allll have to be done? Or are some of them, just your perfection? -smile-

    Gentle hugs,
    🎄🌲🎄🌲🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read to them every week day after lunch, we always have a chapter book on the go, the most recent was Peter Pan which they loved. I also read alot to my daughter as she is dyslexic and not at the stage of reading chapter books yet. Most of the things on my to do list do need to be done it is usually the everyday of life such as paying bills, looking up information to facilitate the children's learning, organising/paying/getting to home ed events. My life is perfect in its imperfections!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I agree! A walk outside is definitely restorative. I have been walking on beaches, early in the morning and late in the afternoons, and it definitely makes me happy. I think of walking as my kind of meditation...outside, in the fresh air, one foot after another and thoughts free to come to go. Love the description of icing-sugar snow...so very pretty. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the beaches you are walking on your blog Meg they look amazing. They would make me happy too. It is true that one foot after another with thought free to come and go is what it is all about.

      Delete
  9. We enjoyed the weather on Sunday too. It was lovely to get out for a walk in a snowy landscape. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you were able to get out in the snow on Sunday too x

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photo. Lovely to go out for a walk, leaving the jobs behind, I remember my Grandma used to say go for a walk and blow the cobwebs away. It does give peace of mind and a new vigor. As I´ve been outside in the garden this week the inside jobs have been piling up too, but you can´t be in 2 places at once! I have a sampler that says you can touch the dust but please dont write in it. Very apt! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still use that saying now! I love the words on your sampler - brilliant!

      Delete

  11. What a beautiful walk, I really must stir myself and start getting out more.

    Sorry I have not been around for a while. Life blunders on here. Some days are better/worse than others. This week contains mostly (all) worse ones and I have been looking back at February posts, and the kind and thoughtful comments I received from you all. So I just wanted to say "thank you" again. You made so much difference, you will never know quite how much. x 💚🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that life is still difficult for you, I hope that time will allow you to find a way to move forward x

      Delete
  12. I read A Christmas Carol wish is a good one this time of year. I otherwise do not have a go to read for Christmas. I love walking in the fall and winter and early spring because being cold is way better than being hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get the hot temperatures that you get, so I love the warmth of the summer here as much as the other cooler seasons.

      Delete
  13. I hear there is going to be a TV version of The Christmas Carol over the festive period, although it's supposed to be quite dark as directed by the director of Peaky Blinders. I would like to read The Nutcracker as I have never watched or read it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look out for that production, thank you. We watched a video link performance of the Nutcracker a few years ago, I would love to watch it live.

      Delete
  14. Wishing you and yours the most joyous Christmas and all good things for 2020. We're starting to get flooding around the village but no homes breached and we hope they don't. Looking forward to getting all the jobs done very soon so that we can relax and enjoy books and walks and down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I do hope you stay dry that would be a terrible thing to happen at this time of year. Thank you for your well wishes. I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and enjoy the family time together.

      Delete
  15. A good walk sustains and enriches in a very special way, and your walk does sound particularly good. No such walks around here at the moment, there has been far too much rain and the ground is super-saturated. As to special books to be read at Christmas - I must confess that I am not good at re-reading books, I like to move on to fresh ground, with one exception. Miss Read. I do dip into her books when the mood takes me, and I particularly enjoy the Christmassy ones at this time of the year. They are waiting on my bedside table. Enjoy your preparations.

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)