Remoulade

28 March 2014

It is very rare for us to visit the fruit and veg section of a supermarket but when we do I always get a barrage of questions from my children.  There are many vegetables and even more fruit that we don't buy, not because they are too expensive but because they are out of season.  When I was a child, fruit and veg was only available 'in season' and we would look forward to strawberries in the summer and satsumas in the winter.  My youngest loves strawberries and cannot understand, when they are available to buy, why we don't buy them more often.  It is important to me to explain why we don't but I can tell that her four year old mind doesn't really comprehend it, why she asks are they on sale?  A good question indeed, perhaps I should get her to write to the supermarkets!

There are many, many benefits to eating seasonally but if I was to pick one downside it is at this time of year.  Traditionally known as the hungry gap, the time when there is little or no fresh produce and that which has been stored is perhaps less than palatable.  Root vegetables are available in abundance in the Autumn and Winter and as we move into those seasons from the Summer I welcome them.  However five months later I am ready for a change and I have run out of inspiration for recipes.

On those days when it is a bit warmer a hearty vegetable stew is not what any of us want to eat but a salad hits the spot.  In my veg bag this week I had a celeriac bulb.  I usually cook celeriac in stews, soups and crumbles but I needed a change especially as the forecast was for a warmer week.  I had, in the past, eaten a salad made with grated celeriac and went on a search for a recipe and came up with this one.  It is incredibly quick, easy and even better tasty.  You can never have too much of a good thing, can you, no wait you can roll on spring vegetables...........in the meantime, carrot and celeriac remoulade.

Carrot and Celeriac Remoulade


1 celeriac peeled and grated
1 carrot peeled and grated
1 tbsp dried dill or small bunch fresh dill chopped
Mayonnaise

Put the vegetables in a large bowl with the dill.  If, like me, you have a very large celeriac bulb then just use a third to half.  Mix in the mayonnaise, enough to suit your taste.



A remoulade is a sauce or condiment and this is a wonderful addition to a meal.  I served this with some broccoli fritters you can find the recipe for them here.



This recipe is part of Elizabeth Kitchen Diaries, Shop Local #7 challenge. Any ideas for what to do with parsnips, we seem to have rather a lot........

4 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful. I will def. have to try the broccoli fritters. We try to buy in season here too. You can tell a difference in price and taste for sure! Hope you and your family have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, I'm a big fan of celeriac, and also of seasonal eating. Although my littlest boy would happily have strawberries all winter if he could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - we are having root veg pasties tonight - this will go perfectly with them!!
    I was quite distressed to see strawberries available at our outdoor market a few weeks ago (we still have snow on the ground). People here complain about the pollution from goods lorries but I'm sure at the end of the morning those strawberries were sold out!
    Looking forward to getting started on my garden so we can really 'eat locally'!! Have you stared any seeds yet?
    Popping over to see what those broccoli fritters are about....
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thought provoking post. We never visited the vegetable aisle when I was a child because my mother had an aversion to anything green, so as an adult now I will scoop up anything and everything I can, regardless of the season. I've upped my veg box to a weekly delivery now so hopefully we don't have to go to town more than once a month for provisions and so my vegetable consumption will be local and seasonal. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe with Shop Local. I have a celeriac in my fridge from the last delivery, so I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)