A Peek into my Day

07 November 2019


Outside my window the early morning sun catches the hills creating a streak of light across the horizon.  The trees are putting on a beautiful display this year, so often strong winds will strip the trees before they have had a chance to show us their wonderful colours.

Around the house there is washing drying and piles of washing waiting to be put away,  a board game  lies abandoned on the dining room table having been played and left, lego mini figures arranged in tableaux on various surfaces, a chair full of teddy bears, it is all rather tidying considering how much time we have spent at home over the past week or so.

We have had a few plans this week which have all been quietly shelved as illness has slowly made its way through all of us.  Thankfully we are on the mend now and looking forward to returning back to our usual rhythm.

I am thinking about my brother.  A lot.  He has had a very difficult few years and this has been the worse.  He has been rarely out of my thoughts this year.

The cold and damp weather is now here, it is at times like this that I am thankful that we have a good supply of seasoned wood for our woodburning stove.

In my kitchen an oil bottle stands empty waiting to be refilled, a selection of jars drying having been washed before being put away to be used again another day, two jars of sauerkraut are gently fermenting and a further jar contains oil and yarrow leaves steeping to made into a salve at some point.

Our enforced hibernation means that I have been doing a lot of knitting, I am creating mittens, a hat and more rows on Alice's tunic.  The cardigan is now off the needles and waiting for the ends to tidied away, the underarms to be joined and a gentle blocking.

It is our local monthly farmers market this Saturday I am going to pick up our usual supplies.  I love spending time at each stall, chatting to the producers, getting to know them, making local connections to the food we eat.

One of the orchestras I play in has a study day on Saturday which I would really like to go to I am hoping that I will have stopped coughing enough to be able to join in.

I am reading, The Women who Run with Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés a book that I have read much about - all really positive -but now that I am reading it, am finding it really hard going and rather disappointing.  I have read so many sentences that are full of flowery prose and had to read them again and again to make sense of them, if at all.  I am close to giving up on it, perhaps it will be a book that I will dip into now and again.

My lovely husband bought me my first smart phone recently, I don't make use of many of its functions but I am loving being able to listen to podcasts at home and when out and about.  I am listening to and loving the weekly Wardrobe Crisis, I can really recommend it.  You might think fashion, nah that is not for me, give it a listen it is so much more than that and we all buy clothes.........episode 94 is amazing.

After our enforced hibernation, which I have actually really enjoyed, I am looking forward to meeting up with friends I haven't seen for weeks.

I am pondering our menu for the week ahead.  I am a meal planner, planning dinner and tea for a seven day period, meals based round the contents of our weekly veg box, I will shop for the rest of the ingredients tomorrow.

Over the past year I have been finding out about herbs and their medicinal/nutritional uses, I am learning slowly building my knowledge one herb at a time.  Whilst we have been ill recently I have been making many herbal tea mixtures to support our return to good health.

A friend told me a couple of quotes this month one in particular is my favourite quote this month, Better finished than perfect.  I definitely need to take this to heart as I often procrastinate rather than get on with things.

I am wearing a blue top with white stripes, a denim sleeveless dress and navy leggings and still no socks in the house.

A peek into my day

26 comments:

  1. It's that time of year when there's lots of different bugs doing the rounds. Eleanor's been full of cold all week and I've now started with what I think is a chest infection. I'm not ill very often and I don't make a very good patient when I am. It's very hard when our loved ones are struggling, it's a constant worry. My dad is back in hospital again and being ill myself means that I can't visit at the moment, even more of a worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There does seem to be alot of bugs around at the moment doesn't there. I am thankful that I have not been ill like this for a very long time, I have enjoyed the hibernation and rest as the weather has been so awful.

      I am sorry to hear your dad is back in hospital again that must be such a worry for you especially if you cannot visit him right now. I hope he and you are on the road to recovery soon and that you can pay him a visit.

      Delete
  2. A lovely peek into your day and I'm relieved to read you're all on the mend. I also hope your brother's situation has a prospect of improving. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules, I am relieved too and hope that it is now for the rest of the cold months.

      My brother's situation is improving very slowly, it is often two steps forward and one step back, it could take some years but the family is here to support him how ever long it takes.

      Delete
  3. The wind is blowing all the leaves round here too. It's crazy out there. Having a wood burner sounds cosy. I hope you are all on the mend, November seems to be a month for catching a cold unfortunately. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had lots of rain but very little wind this year, I cannot remember the last time I saw such a beautiful display of Autumn colour as usually the wind just blows all the leaves from the trees before they have had a chance to change colour.

      We love having a wood burner it is so cosy in the colder months, it was expensive but I am so glad that we saved the money to have one installed.

      Delete
  4. I love your gentle peeks into your day. Thinking of your brother and wishing him well. I think your weather has been slightly kinder than ours this autumn. Hope you make your orchestra session and feel better soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words. We do seem to have a gentler Autumn this year, we have had lots of rain and many frosts but very little wind, I cannot remember the last time I saw such a beautiful Autumn display, usually the wind blows all the leaves from the trees before they have had a chance to turn.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful view out your window! I do *envy* people who have lovely views. Our back views are filled with a new house. No views from sides, now that we live downstairs. But in front, our windows look out on a little woods. That views is the best. -smile-

    Sorry about the illness going through-the-house. Glad you are on the mend now though. Not the best way, to have Hibernation. We really want to choose, to do Hibernating things!!!! -smile-

    🍁🔥🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the views from the front our house, it was one of the things that sold the house to me. We can see that view from our sitting and dining rooms downstairs too, I never tire of looking at it.

      Thank you for you kind words, I am glad to be on the mend, being ill is so tiring. I don't mind the enforced hibernation as it is difficult to get it any other way!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you have been ill - hope you all recover soon. One of the first 'health' books I ever read was a lovely little book about herbs and all the minerals they contain. I was an Art student then in the early 70's and something sparked off a life long quest to know more about keeping healthy through diet. It has worked for me I rarely go to the doctors and never take medication (the last time I had antibiotics was well over 35 years ago) other than I am reliant on Thyroxine as I had thyroid cancer over 10 years ago due to some radiation exposure. I drink a lot of ginger tea and green tea.
    It was lovely to hear about your day - it felt quite calm - I am hopeful I can calm mine down a bit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so interested to hear that you too make use of herbs medically. How amazing that you have not had antibiotics in 35 years, I hope I can claim that at some point in later years, it is about 16 years since I last took some. Like you I rarely go to the doctors, last time was ten years ago!

      Delete
  7. A lovely peek into your days, it does sound rather nice. My own life is completely crazy at the moment but I am sure this will pass again. I am glad you are on the mend, it is the time of year when we spend more time together inside that bacteria and viruses are easily passed on. Your cardigan is a piece of art, I clicked through to the post where you write about it to remind myself. I am tempted to make something similar but the long purl rows on the "wrong" side put me off. Maybe a top down jumper knitted in the round is better for me. I'll check the wardrobe podcast out later today. Podcasts are so important for my wellbeing and I have a whole list of programmes that I listen to regularly. Saturdays are catch up days for Woman's Hour on BBC4... while doing routine chores. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that your life is completely crazy at the moment, that is really hard work to deal with, I hope it passes. It is indeed the time of year for viruses I hope I am done with them now. I hope you enjoy Wardrobe Crisis and have a restful weekend.

      Delete
  8. Hope your brother's health improves so you do not have to worry about him. I also hope your illness in the house disappears! I listen to podcasts when I'm driving around and love them. It's like having friends in the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be a very slow journey for my brother maybe a few more years to go yet, but I am in for the duration. We are slowly getting back to full health, we are so rarely ill but when we are it seems to knock us for six. I occasionally get to listen to podcasts when driving, it is rare for me to be in the car alone though and yes it is like having friends in the car.

      Delete
  9. Hope you are all getting over your poorly conditions, nothing worse when the whole family go down with something. I love the sound of being a regular at the market, usually such an array of in season produce. I love using herbs and spices, first signs of a sore throat and out comes the thyme, honey and lemon. I also enjoy herbal teas, so many different combinations around now, spoilt for choice. Rebecca and I also enjoy making our own lip balms and scrubs, comforting to know exactly what is in them without chemicals. Hope you enjoyed your study day. xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly improving, thank you. The farmers market is an array of seasonal and local produce, I love going. Lovely to hear from another person who makes use of herbs for medicinal purposes, thyme, lemon and honey sounds like a great combination. It is comforting to know what is the things we put on our skin, I love that you make them yourselves. The list of ingredients in some of the products you buy are unbelievable, I wouldn't let them anywhere near me.

      Delete
  10. Lovely peek into your day! I do hope you are all feeling better, it's the same here, we all have the lurgy and as fast as we get rid of it we pass it on again!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Its the time of year isn't it, we are slowly improving here but not quite back to business as usual just yet.

      Delete
  11. I hear you with regard to Women who run with the wolves.....was really looking forward to getting into it as I had heard so much about it....wow its a struggle...tried to read it off and on for months...it's colleting dust in my bookcase. Hope all your family are on the mend :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lovely to hear from you. I am glad it is not just me who has struggled with this book, i have come to the conclusion that it is one that you either love or loathe. We are starting to feel a little better now, thank you.

      Delete
  12. Lovely post and peek! What instrument do you play? I didn't get a smartphone till 2 years ago and I have to say my number one thing with it is listening to podcasts - thanks for the heads up on that one, I just looked it up and it sounds great. I'm really interested in sustainable fashion and challenged myself about a year ago to only get clothes from sustainable / ethical companies from natural fibres or secondhand (I wish I could also make like you!!). I also never got into the much-heralded Women who run with the wolves - but have hung on to it...just in case it speaks to me at another stage in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I play the violin, I started when I was five learning to read music as I learnt the written word. I had a long pause, after leaving school, of not playing but have recently started again.

      That sounds like a perfect challenge and one that I should embrace too.

      I am glad to hear that it is not just me who was struggled with Women who run with Wolves.

      Delete
  13. A lovely peek into one of your days! It sounds like you are all emerging back into wellness again. Herbs and their properties are so interesting. I want to find out more about one a friend gifted me called "Mother of Herb" as it's growing well in the garden and I don't know much about it really. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg, yes we are slowly feeling ourselves again it has been a long time. I hope you manage to find out about the Mother of Herb growing in your garden, it is not one I have heard of hope you will share what you find out?

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)