October in Photos

31 October 2019

October you are are my favourite month of them all.  This year you have been a month of contrasts, busyness at home, quiet and calm away on holiday, warm wet weather at your start, closing with beautiful cold frosty days, the leaves changing from green to yellow, orange and red.  As you draw to an end I am once again joining in the Photo Scavenger Hunt over on I live, I love, I craft, I am me.... here are my photos inspired by words and words inspired by photos.

Umbrella


Alice and I went for a walk in some beautiful woodlands whilst Cameron mountain biked with a friend.  The forecast was for it to be dry and cold, a forecast is well a prediction and on this occasion totally wrong.  It rained. Hard.  We had coats on but for warmth not waterproof.  We sheltered under the trees watching the rain pouring down so close to us but we were dry under the trees, it soon stopped and we were on our way again.

Wet


We had a wonderful holiday in Scotland this month, staying with friends near Fort William.  There are many things I love about this part of Scotland not least the trees, many of them are covered in lichen.  Absolutely covered.  A beautiful natural adornment that you can see from some distance.  Lichens are not parasitic they do not harm the plants that they are growing on.  In fact they are beneficial, as they are useful to other wildlife, providing nesting material for birds and food and shelter to invertebrates which are food for other animals.  A woodland rich in lichens will support many more species of wildlife than any other.   They grow very, very slowly, 1- 2 mm (0.04 - 0.08 inches) a year, and they thrive in undisturbed, wet conditions.

Puddles


This is a photo from my archives, one it would seem I have used here before.  It has been surprising that I haven't seen a single puddle when I had my camera with me.  This puddle is the remains of a serious volume of rain that fell in the month of November 2015 the legacy of several storms back to back which culminated in the most serious of them all destroying so much of my beautiful county.  We were so lucky to have quick thinking neighbours who were out in the terrible conditions ensuring that the water flowed away from our terrace of houses, my mind was elsewhere at the time.  I really hope this Winter does not bring too much rain for anyone.

Overflowing


This is my yarn.  A mess.  Overflowing its storage space.  This cupboard is in Alice's bedroom, she tells me that I need to do something about it as the door will not shut properly.  She is right, I do.  I need to make some baskets that make better use of the space than the boxes and bags that I currently use.  This photo is a reminder to me that I need to do that job soon......

Splash


Throwing stones into water is immensely satisfying don't you think?  A beach with stones, they are just crying out to be thrown into the water.  On a walk for the John Muir Award that Cameron is currently completing, all the teenagers were throwing stones in the water, mostly to see who could make the biggest splash.  I am surprised that no one fell in as some of the rocks were heavy and it looked, to us adults, as if they were going to follow the rock into the water.  They were huge rocks so the splashes were big, they had small rainbows too.

Gift (Own Choice)


Alice's best friend has a birthday next week, she wanted to make her a present and decided on a chest of drawers for her dolls clothes.  She drew up a plan, with measurements and Daddy helped her to make it.  It stands 33cm (13") high and the drawers run really smoothly.  It is beautiful and I'm sure will be well received.

42 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely photos. I have been to Fort William as a day trip from Oban. I agree that lichen festooned trees are wonderful. I think they are also an indicator of unpolluted air but I could be wrong! Favourite photo?? Splash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I think you are right that lichen festooned trees are an indicator of unpolluted air.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photographs, and October has certainly been a month of contrasts for you.
    Your daughter is so thoughtful to think of an original birthday gift and I'm sure such a lovely present will be very much appreciated by the recipient. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Alice is now wanting to keep the drawers for herself as she loves them so much. The birthday is on Monday so we will be handing them over then. Each year she comes up with such amazing and thoughtful presents, I love that she has a 'we can make anything' spirit.

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures. That lichen is beautiful and fairy like. But my favourite must be that natural umbrella that kept you dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The lichen was fairy like, and everywhere. Trees are wonderful aren't they, not only how they grow but the gifts they give to us humans.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy seeing the photos you come up with for the prompts. What a beautiful gift. I'm sure Alice's friend will be thrilled with it and it's something she'll treasure, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I do hope she will treasure it too although Alice is currently reluctant to give it away at the moment!

      Delete
  5. Delightful, all...!!!!!!!

    Happy Halloween...

    Blessed Samhain....

    😊 😊 😊 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lichen looks very healthy, I wish I had seen some to include on my wild October photographs over on Instagram. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have only ever seen lichen in that quantity in Scotland although my memory may be incorrect!

      Delete
  7. Love the drawers; what an excellent present. Lovely photos summing up one of my favourite months too. Thank goodness we have trees to shelter under. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to find someone else who loves October too. I am always so grateful for trees, they give us humans so much including shelter ;)

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos - I particularly like the lichen - and your daughters present - how wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fil. It was quite hard to know how to photograph the lichen as there was so much of it, I couldn't decide whether to get close on be far away, in the end I went for close in so that you could see the detail. The tree was covered in it.

      Delete
  9. Love the photos and your stories :) yes, my boys (one also a Cameron!) used love lobbing rocks to splash but now their 'thing' is to skim as many skips as possible and your yarn 'nest' looks just like mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah yes the skimming that happens too, on that beach there were lots of really big rocks which is why the 'make the biggest splash' competition started!

      Delete
  10. Great photos. Love the lichen covered tree & I'm sure you must be proud of your daughter helping to make those drawers. Well done. Your overflowing wool stash tends to remind of my bulging fabric cupboard. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am proud of her, she has the most amazing ideas for presents and always seems to be able to find a way to make them. I bet there are many knitters who have a bulging wool stash!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to come to your house and organize all of that yarn! I think it's a secret ninja skill I have :) Lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful October! I love the trees in the wood framing that path like an umbrella canopy. I can imagine strolling underneath. October finally brought rain with it here where I live; a most welcome and needed gift from the sky. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you have finally had some rain, I hadn't realised how bad the droughts were in your part of the world until I started reading about them on so many blogs.

      Delete
  14. Hello there - your photos are beautiful - I love the splash one. I need to schedule some time to come and read back through your lovely blog. Although I am following you your post came into my Wordpress reader but ended up like Facebook falling off the bottom when so many people all post at the same time - so I nearly missed you this time!
    There is a woodland near to our cottage in Scotland that is full of lichen and very damp. It was one of the things I noticed when we went to Ireland as they have very damp weather to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How wonderful to have such an ancient woodland near your cottage.

      Delete
  15. Love the lichen, it's very pretty, and your yarn stash is very colourful. The chest of drawers looks like a great present, though if Alice is reluctant now to give it away why doesn't dad secretly make one for her for Christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a really good idea, why had I not thought of that, thank you!

      It is a colourful stash even it is overflowing.

      Delete
  16. Fabulous photographs I have one of those overflowing yarn cupboards πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos. What a special gift your daughter's best friend has received - I hope she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday is on Monday, I really hope it is well received, I am sure it will be they are such good friends and make things for each other for their birthdays x

      Delete
  18. Lovely photos and they all depict the words wonderfully. What a lovely gift that your daughter has made, its so nice to hear of youngsters finding their creativity and they learn so much from it too xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. They do indeed learn so much from being creative, I love that she enjoys the act of giving gifts too.

      Delete
  19. I love your natural umbrella and that's a huge splash! The chest of drawers look fantastic, I'm sure she was thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so it has been gifted today but I was not there. They were huge splashes, they were big rocks. I had several photos it was hard to choose just one.

      Delete
  20. Such lovely photographs you've shared …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos, especially the tree sand lichens!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am far too late for my comment to be relevant to the Photo Challenge, but at least I now know where your wonderful holiday was - the area around FW is one I know well.

    Next time you are up that way, if you want an absolute lichen delight, you might consider the awesome walk in Ariundle Nature Reserve. The route starts just outside Strontian (about an hour south of FW?) and takes you through ancient deciduous forest. I did this a few years ago and it was quite magical . . . oh heck, now I have remembered it I am going to have to get back there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have walked a little bit in that nature reserve and yes it is magical and yes I would love to go back too!

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)