Daybook

20 August 2019


Outside my window it is mostly cloudy with the smallest patches of blue, will today be a dry day or more rain I wonder?

I am thinking about some dear friends who have just moved a long way from us, over to Ireland, I miss them all very much but hope that they are slowly settling into their new home and life in a new country.

I am thankful to all the lovely bloggers who left such lovely comments on my last post which was my first in three years.  I am so grateful to have been welcomed back so wonderfully into the world of blogging.

In my kitchen is a bowl of pancake mix fermenting well (it is supposed to be doing that!), a bowl of chickpeas soaking for making humous, a bowl of quinoa soaking for tea tonight, a pan of dandelion root tea waiting to be drunk and pile of washing up on the side.

I have finally finished a cardigan that has been on the needles for over a year, I will share on another post, I am now looking forward to casting on some new projects for now I am using up some ends of balls, I am creating a new cowl for me.

Cameron now has paper round in the village, this afternoon I am going to take him to a nearby town so that he can spend some of his hard earned pennies, he is saving most of his earnings but every now and again he will make a small purchase or two.

I am wondering if the large number of small changes that we have had in our lives over the past few months are now going to stop piling up.

I have a huge pile of books on my bedside table waiting to be read, at the moment I am reading a couple of them, So Shall We Reap by Colin Tudge in which he proposes some interesting alternatives to our current intensive and industrialised farming methods to feed the world.  The other is a completely different book, The Gut Wellness Guide, I am working my way slowly through this book which is a mixture of self help techniques and easy to read science of how your body functions.

I am looking forward to this week which is full of time at home, last week was really busy out and about somewhere every day.

Around the house there is washing drying (too much rain at the moment to hang it outside), a sleeping bag airing after recent use on a scout camp, a bag of out grown clothes waiting to go into storage in the loft, items precious to Alice that she doesn't want to pass on, all down the hall is a procession of lego vehicles waiting patiently for play to start again.

I have recently read a few books about the pace of life in Scandinavia and what makes their populations happier in worldwide polls, I came across some wonderful proverbs in one of these books a favourite quote amongst these was, 'better an honest no than an insincere yes'.  This is most definitely my moto in life, something I was following before I knew it was a Swedish proverb!

We have a few plans for the rest of this week, which involve mostly being quiet and restful at home.

With all those changes that we have had over the past few months I am pondering our rhythm and the shape of our week in the months to come, Alice and Cameron are both still home educated and have not expressed any desire to start attending school any time soon.

I have recently become the proud owner of a new laptop, after seven years of use my tablet was getting a little slow and unreliable, I am learning, slowly, my way around this new device.  The last laptop I owned was in the mid 90s when I was at university the new one is very different to that machine!

I am wearing a made by me linen top, linen trousers and am barefoot.

I love the quiet in our house in the mornings so I am listening to, and enjoying, the stillness and the silence of the house as the day slowly gets going.

A peak into my day.

12 comments:

  1. The weather always seems to spoil itself, doesn't it? I hung a load of washing on the line yesterday but brought it in when there was a torrential downpour mid way through the day, only for it to brighten up again afterwards. If only we could get the whole lot of rain done in one go and then have some nice, rain free, days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, sometimes I feel like those characters in clocks dashing in and out every time it rains!

      Delete
  2. I have hung a line full of washing, so I hope the sun comes out soon. Having had a houseful of visitors over the weekend, I am still trying to get on top of he housework.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your finished cardigan. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have stayed dry here, I have been out for the afternoon. I hope you get your washing dried.

      Delete
  3. All sounds lovely to me and something which so many of us don't seem to be able to achieve. I got the rotary line up yesterday only for the rain to start luckily before I had put any washing on it. Then the sun came out and I started to peg some of the washing out and once again it began raining. After having the washing on the airer in the conservatory while we had lunch the sun was out once more so I started putting bits out on the line and did in the end get it all dry. Time consuming though and I can understand why so many people resort to a tumble drier but as I haven't got one that wasn't an option and the washing does smell fresh and lovely dried outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started to put the airier outside as I figure that is easier and quicker to bring in from the line if the pesky rain starts up and it can go back out again when the sun shines again!

      Delete
  4. what a delightful peek! I have my husband home this week for his summer vacation and it's hard to get anything done since we keep going out and doing stuff together, I am not complaining!! I know next week I will be back at the same old same old. It is incredibly hot here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you are enjoying your time at home with your husband.

      Delete
  5. Guess we are never happy with the weather. I clearly remember spending all of last summer complaining and whining about a three month drought (because, really, when does that EVER happen in Cumbria?) I am spending much of this summer grumbling about the endless rain and not being able to get into the garden and do the oh-so-necessary cutting back and clearing up.

    I did like being warm last year though, and knowing I could put on a pair of shorts and not have to change an hour later because I'd got cold.

    Thank you for the peek into your day, sounds like many of us are pondering many things at present. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No whatever the weather is doing us British will complain! It is most likely down the inconsistency of it. Just heard today that we are in for another heatwave......
      It does indeed sound like many of us are pondering many things, so many of my friends are going through a period of change/being unsettled it is hard to support each other when we are all needing supporting!

      Delete
  6. Lots of good things happening in your life. The bubbling pancake mix makes me hungry. It also reminds of my son's sourdough starter, which he forgot to take when he moved. Must feed it tomorrow. Your linen top sounds perfect for the unexpected hot weather. I love linen, even if it needs ironing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been the perfect top for the hot weather! I hope you remembered to feed that sourdough starter ;)

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)