Eating

18 January 2013

This post is all about soup.  At the weekend I visited my local farmers market and bought a large bag of veg with the intention of making a big batch of soup to freeze and eat for lunch during the month.  At this time of year soup is a great lunch meal, whether you at home or out and about.  It is easy to put in a flask and drink to warm you up whilst outside.  I made nine pints, we ate some over the weekend the rest went in the freezer.

I also had some rather wizened looking swede that had not been eaten yet, none of my recipe books had a recipe for swede soup so made one up, all quantities are approx as I did not weigh anything!

Swede Soup
1 onion
400g swede
1 small potato
1 small carrot
Freshly grated nutmeg
2 pints stock

Dice the onion and fry gently in butter in a saucepan until soft and clear.
Peel and roughly chop the other veg, add to saucepan and fry gently for a few minutes.
Add the nutmeg and stir through.
Add the stock and stir, cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Allow to cool a little and blend.

I also made some carrot soup.  All the recipes that I have found for carrot soup include two ingredients that I cannot eat, tomatoes and lemon juice or it is the ubiquitous carrot and coriander which is notoriously difficult to get hold of where I live.  So I had a go at making it with coriander powder and it came out rather well, in my opinion anyway!  Again quantities are approx, due to not weighing anything.

Spicy Carrot Soup
1 onion
500g carrots
2 tsp coriander powder
1tsp cumin powder
Pinch chilli powder or more depending on your taste
1.5 pints stock

Fry the onion in butter in a large saucepan until soft and clear.
Roughly chop the carrots.
Add the spices to the onions and stir in, fry gently for a minute.
Add the carrots and mix throughly to coat with the onion spicey mix.
Add the stock and cook until the carrots are soft.
Allow to cool a little and blend.




1 comment:

Hello......would love to hear from you :)