Couscous

25 August 2012

I have spent a lot of time cooking in the past week getting ready for camping trips.  I prefer to take my own home cooked food when I camp as I find that I cannot eat most processed foods due to the preservatives in them.  They raise the histamine levels in my body and causes outbreaks of urticaria which are painful and uncomfortable.

This weekend we are going to camp at a music festival.  There will probably be plenty of opportunity to buy food whilst we are there, but as I can never be sure of the ingredients again I prefer to take my own.  I find the planning of supper really easy as I do this every week, but lunches are more difficult. My husband is not keen on sandwiches and I would not want to eat them everyday even though they are easy.  Eventually I came up with enough meals and decided to make a couscous salad.  I made this recipe up, I have tried it and it tastes good to me!

100g dried chickpeas
375g couscous
20g butter, melted
375ml boiling water
Vegetable stock
1 medium courgette cut into small cubes
2 spring onions finely sliced
4tbs olive oil
2tbs white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic crushed

Soak the chickpeas overnight in water.  Change water and boil for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until soft.  Drain and leave to cool.

Place the melted butter in a bowl with the couscous and mix to coat the grains.  Mix the water and stock and pour over the couscous and leave to soak, I cover with a tea towel.

Make the sauce by combining the oil, vinegar and garlic cloves and whisk well.

When the couscous has absorbed all the water, stir through with a fork to separate the grains.  Add the chopped courgette and spring onions and the cooked chickpeas and mix.

Pour over the sauce and mix well.

Chill (the salad that is) and enjoy when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello......would love to hear from you :)