Millet

30 June 2012

I have only ever used this grain in making bread, this week I tried for the first time cooking it as part of a meal and it was delicious there were no leftovers! I found this recipe in my one of my cookery books as I wanted to cook something different with carrots. It is a Korean dish, this quantity served two adults and two young children. My husband eats a lot so it would probably serve 3-4 adults.

Millet with sesame seeds, carrot and chard

3 tbs groundnut or corn oil
250g millet grains 2tsps sesame seeds
2spring onions (white and green parts) cut into very fine rounds
85g carrots, peeled and cut into very small dice
3-4 swiss chard leaves (mine is not ready in the garden yet, so I used spinach instead) cut into fine strips
1tbs soy sauce
2tsps toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sugar

Have 475ml of boiling water ready.

Put a tbs of the oil in a small frying pan over a med high heat. When hot put in the millet, stir and fry for 3 minutes, pour in the water, cover, remove from heat and set aside for one hour.

Put the remaining oil in a saucepan over a med high heat. When hot put in sesame seeds, stir until they pop then add the spring onions and carrots, stir and fry for a further minute.  Now add chard (or spinach if using) and stir until wilted.  Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar and stir well.

Add the millet with its soaking liquid and 2tbs of water, bring to the boil. Cover and turn the heat very low and cook for 40 minutes, check for liquid content I had to add a further tbs to prevent the millet catching.

Remove from the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with this sauce:

1tbs of sesame seeds 
4tbs soy sauce
2tbs toasted sesame oil
1tsp sugar
1 spring onion, white part, chopped into very fine rounds
1/4 tsp of cayenne ( or less depending on how spicy you like your food)

Put the sesame seeds in a small frying pan and dry fry to toast the seeds.  They will pop all the over the place so use a lid.  Once toasted put in a grinder or use a mortar and pestle and lightly grind.

Put the seeds in a jug with all the other ingredients and mix well.

2 comments:

  1. OOh sounds really interesting. I have never cooked with millet before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly what I thought when I read the recipe for the first time, it didn't disappoint either, thank goodness! I am going to find some more millet recipes now.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)