Tabbouleh

29 May 2012

I have decided to start sharing a recipe each week. As the weather has got warmer we have been enjoying lots of salads at the moment. This one is a particular favourite, there is rarely any left for another day.

It is made using bulgar wheat, derived from wheat berries which are cooked, the bran removed and then crushed. It is often used in salads, but can be cooked and used for bread making. Traditionally tabbouleh is made with tomatoes, but I do not eat them as they set off my crohns so I make it without. I am sure the purists would find this recipe wanting and not call it tabbouleh, but we love it.

This recipe is taken from the 1985 version of the Cranks Recipe book, it was the first recipe book I bought in 1991 (I have dated when I bought it!) and have used it so much that it is falling apart.

Tabbouleh
Bulgar wheat 8oz (225g)
Medium sized onion 1
Fresh mint chopped 1tbsp
Fresh parsley chopped 6 tbsp

Dressing:
Olive oil 50 ml
White wine vinegar 50ml
Spring onions or chives chopped 1 1/2 tsp
Demerara sugar 1/2 tsp
Paprika 1/4 tsp
Soya sauce 1/2 tsp
Salt pinch
Whole grain mustard 1/2 tsp
Pepper to taste

Place the bulgar wheat in a dish and pour over enough boiling water to cover.
Leave to soak for at least half an hour.
Finely chop the onion.
Combine the onion and herbs into the bulgar wheat.
Make the dressing up and mix well.
Pour the dressing over the salad and combine.
Cover and chill until required, this salad will dry out on the top if not covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello......would love to hear from you :)